Calling all computer-literate folk out there

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tones, Mar 14, 2004.

1. tones

tones compulsive cantater

HELP!! I am not at all computer literate, only relatively recently having learned how to master the on-off switch unaided.

I have a couple of odd Internet problems, not critical but annoying, that have developed in our computer. If anyone can shed any light on the (to me) mysteries, I'd be most grateful. The system is basically WINDOWS 200 Pro with some elements of XP Pro and Internet Explorer 6.

1. The "delete" button has ceased to work in Internet-related typing - when I make a mistake (frequent), say, I type in a letter too many, I have to place the cursor in front of the letter to be deleted and then backspace.

2. When I engage a link on a web page, I can't get rid of it and return to the previous page any more by clicking on the X in the top-right corner. Instead, I have to click on the - to remove the page and leave a tab connecting to it at the bottom of the page. I end up with a great mountain of these and the only way to get rid of them is to log out and restart.

tones, Mar 14, 2004
  2. tones

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

Well, the best thing might be to download an update. But you say you have Windows 2000 and some elements of XP, which seems to me strange.

I'm a computer nerd, actually. I hate computers - since Windows 2000 I ceased having problems with the OS, but most of Microsoft programs suck big time and I no longer use MS Office.

That said, I hope someone more knowlegeable than I will contribute to this thread.

In any case, you might try this.

It is the download center - or update center. Microsoft will test your system to see what is lacking in terms of updates.

Rodrigo de Sá, Mar 14, 2004
  3. tones

BL21DE3 aka 'Lucky'

tones, about the best advice I could offer is to run some diagnostics on your system to determine if there is a fault with the registry or the OS itself. You should be able to find some freeware/shareware/commercial utilities to do this for you. Some examples would be Norton Systemworks and Iolo System Mechanic. You can get a free 30 day trial of System Mechanic here http://www.iolo.com/sm/4/download.cfm . I can't guarentee that this will fix the problems but it's worth a shot.
    Hope you manage to fix the problems.

BL21DE3

BL21DE3, Mar 14, 2004
  4. tones

tones compulsive cantater

Thanks, guys, they're better ideas than I could come up with.

tones, Mar 14, 2004
  5. tones

alastair

delete

The delete key is in fact a 'feature' of internet explorer in the fact that only delete will work and not backspace as theis becomes a back button.

Alastair

A Mac User

alastair, Mar 14, 2004
  6. tones

Paul Ranson

If the focus is in a text area, then 'backspace' backspaces. If it's on a 'page' then it takes you back.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Mar 14, 2004
  7. tones

HenryT

Sounds like a problem with unwanted "pop-ups" to me. Think you'll need to get some spyware removal software to stop this happening. Not sure what best to recommend though, I'm sure others will have some suggestions though... Maybe "Ad-aware".

HenryT, Mar 14, 2004
  8. tones

BL21DE3 aka 'Lucky'

The best tool I've found for removing spyware is Spybot - Search & Destroy, and best of all it's free :).

BL21DE3

BL21DE3, Mar 14, 2004
  9. tones

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

problem 2,if you need to close a window try alt+ f4, for back to previous page i think its alt and the <- arrow key and alt and -> arrow key for fallwards

themadhippy, Mar 15, 2004
  10. tones

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

...and try emptying the cache. "View source" on mine stopped working, and clearing the cache sorted it.

In IE, go to Tools -> Internet options -> Delete Files.

It might work or it might not, but knowing how flaky IE is, you never know...

domfjbrown, Mar 15, 2004
Ask a Question