Calling all Squeezebox experts

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Sir Galahad, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Harmonia Mundi

Hi All,

I'm considering going the Squeezebox way. I have been through the complete "Let's get digital" thread again, which took ages. Most of it had gone way over my head when first posted, and although things are a bit clearer now, I hope some of you will be able to answer the following simple questions:

How long does it take to rip a CD (say 60 minutes of music)?

Does the SB software copy album names, titles, track names, etc. automatically (assuming these are somewhere on the original CD) or do I have to type them by hand? I read something about "setting tags" but I confess I don't know what it means.

Can I rip a CD from my CDP as I listen to it, or even better while I listen to something already in my computer? Or is the computer's DVD burner the only way to ripping?

Is EAC still the best way to go? Where do I get it?

Should I get a 1TB HDD or is it not safer to get say 2 x 500 MB HDDs?

What's the best backup solution? (someone mentioned DVD, if so, how much music (i.e. how many CD equivalents) can I save to a DVD?)

With the SB in a different room (my listening room), I understand I can select tracks/playlists from my computer in another room. Is that correct?

It was said earlier that the DAC and PSU of the SB2 were mediocre. Have they been improved on the SB3? I'm the plug-and-play type and would rather dispense with extra boxes and cables (and with a fight with SWMBA). In any case I'll move one step at a time and please let's address the DAC subject in detail at a later time.

Is the whole process rather straightforward or do I need to go back to school?

I have both a PC/XP and a Mac sitting back to back on my desk. Any good reason (like software availability) to use one rather than the other?

Are there alternatives to the Squeezebox?

That's all folks (for the time being), thank you in advance.

Sir Galahad, Nov 9, 2005
  2. Sir Galahad

andrew1810

andrew1810, Nov 9, 2005
  3. Sir Galahad

Thanks a lot for your time Andrew, you did provide all the info I need. :)

Sounds great but I'm not sure I understand how this works. Out of curiosity, does that mean that there is somewhere on the Internet a database of ALL CDs?

Sir Galahad, Nov 9, 2005
  4. Sir Galahad

andrew1810

Indeed, there are two, apple etc. use the gracenote CDDB, Cdex and the smaller ones use freedb (a free version of cddb).

My systems use a local copy of the freedb so doesn't even need an internet connection.

CDDB is slightly more comprehensive because its not done by user submissions, but it costs the software companies for use which is why the likes of CDEX and EAC use the freedb

Andrew

andrew1810, Nov 9, 2005
  5. Sir Galahad

robert_cyrus

robert_cyrus, Nov 9, 2005
  6. Sir Galahad

Active Hiatus

EAC & FLAC are certainly the way to go for simple and effective ripping and lossless compression. You might want to use Tag & Rename to re-write your tags.

The idea of ripping your CDs may seem daunting but it is relatively painless and gives you a greater insight into your collection. If you have any classical music the added bonus of Tag&Rename is that you can break your albums down to individual works. It's worth spending some time adding the additional tag info whatever music styles.

Active Hiatus, Nov 9, 2005
  7. Sir Galahad

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

If I were you which I am not, but if I were I would consider using iTunes to rip the music. You can use the apple Lossless or purchase a cheap harddrive and put it in uncompressed, seriously 300gig + harddrives are little over 100 quid. Easy days.

The reason I mention itunes is that it really is very good with tagging, and the process can be made easy by a degree of automation, (you can set it automatically import the music then eject the CD, small automation but it helps)

The squeezebox software will happily use iTunes as the music library. I see no reason why the mac would be any slower than a PC in terms of using the squeeze box, I would say this would be more dependant on the speed of the harddrive.

garyi, Nov 9, 2005
  8. Sir Galahad

It IS daunting, especially when last count was 1500+ and that's at least a year ago... Ripping may also be a chance to get rid of things you never listen to, or don't even remember you had in your collection.

You answered my question before I asked. I'd say that 80% of my CDs are classical, many with two or more different works, and I suspected some hard work was involved...

Sir Galahad, Nov 9, 2005
  9. Sir Galahad

Having two different machines, I can try both solutions and settle for the one that does it for me. Or use the Mac for classical and the PC for pop/rock, on an external HDD that my son can use on his machine too.

Sir Galahad, Nov 9, 2005
  10. Sir Galahad

Active Hiatus

Of course you'll be able to make up dream list performances. Like A's playing in the first mov't but prefer B's in 2nd & 3rd No problem, just compile the playlist with the tracks from seperate albums.

Active Hiatus, Nov 10, 2005
  11. Sir Galahad

DavidY80 Long Member

I would second the recommendation for Tag & Rename, especially if you have a large collection to rip.

We offer a service to do this, and whilst it's technicaly quite simple, it is VERY time consuming if you try to rip an entire collection at once (assuming you have several hundred CD's)

DavidY80, Nov 10, 2005
  12. Sir Galahad

I would use it more as a way to listen to the same movement from 2 or 3 different versions in rapid succession. Great for comparison and no CDs to handle.

Sir Galahad, Nov 10, 2005
  13. Sir Galahad

T-bone Sanchez

Actuallu this has crossed my mind. Ive just got a new lappy with 80gb HDD and I could use a thing called RAID (????) to add another HDD which I could leave at home. Its ultra quiet, in fact Ive not heard the fan yet (hope its working). The only prob is that this is my pc too, so can I use it for more than one thing at one time?

T-bone Sanchez, Nov 10, 2005
  14. Sir Galahad

Thanks for the offer (I followed the link), but I think I'll pass. I do not mean to put you out of business, but I have a 21-year old musicology-student son who will be all too happy to help his old man out and make a few extra bucks on the side ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2005
  15. Sir Galahad

I visited the EAC website. They offer two options, one with, one without CDRDAO, whatever that is. Which one should I download?

Same for Tag & Rename, should I get V. 3.1.7 or V.3.2.rc2?

Thanks

16. Sir Galahad

DavidY80 Long Member

Hi Sir Galahad,
    Sorry for the confusion - I wasn't actually trying to sell you my services, just offer some advice.

If you need any hints or tips please feel free to ask. There's no secret or magic about what we do, we just happen to be well kitted up to do it, and have identified a few of the pitfalls.

The ripping service is really just a extra that helps with the rest of our squeezebox modding and installation service.

Good idea to get your son to do it. ;)

DavidY80, Nov 10, 2005
  17. Sir Galahad

Active Hiatus

Tag & Rename - v3.2.rc2 is a beta but seems stable with no obvious problems.
    TBH I'm not sure which version I've got and the site isn't clear but I am guessing the "with CDRAO" allows you to run tests on your CD drive to check its accuracy soI would go for the smaller standard package.

18. Sir Galahad

Thanks to all for guidance.

Now to order the SB3, Wi-Fi equipment, HDDs and I'm in gear

19. Sir Galahad

Active Hiatus

When you've got it all ready ask about setting EAC upto to maximise efficiency and minimise ripping times.

20. Sir Galahad

Will do, thanks

Ask a Question