Cambridge Audio CD1

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Darren, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Darren

MO! MOnkey`ead!

and who says Saddam's being treated badly? They've even given him internet access!

MO!, Dec 15, 2003
  2. Darren

Darren

hey Dom,

Yes the CD1 is the one with the error counter.... Gee Wizz I wanted one back in the 80s.

Darren.

PS. The Emporium has a Dragon CD set in stock - He really rates it.

Darren

Darren, Dec 15, 2003
  3. Darren

tom123

tom123, Dec 15, 2003
  4. Darren

vinnyvee

Cambridge CD1

im a little dismayed but not surprised at some of the ignorant comments on here..many personal opinions on here are just that without any foundation or backing...you guys should know by now that newer technology doesnt necessarily mean better. this machine puts boat anchor ugly macs to shame and sound warmer than most newer and older digital crap out there like the overpriced digital sounding teac esoteric line..

The Cd1 was way, way advanced against the then state-of-the-art systems back then.
    Most Japan made players were sold on the promise of more bits and more oversampling but failed to achieve any of the claims made whilst the CD1 used some original thinking in running in what was belived paralleled dual differential mode.
    Hence the number of dacs per channel which possibly accounts for the high price which was closer to 2000 quid or $4000 USD according to blue book in 1986

The CD1 used 3 X TDA1541 dacs and a bespoke filter design all the work of Stan Curtis. infact The 2 output boards have 'STAN CURTIS' imprinted on the underside.
    The integrated components are circuitry that has been 'potted' to keep out prying eyes of those at the time (80's) who would copy any and every innovation and claim it as their own!

The laser assembly is a special design also in that the whole shebang is mounted on an ingenious suspension system which required special hand castings to be made.
    The whole machine is, very 'handmade'. It needed to be as it sold in low volumes and Stan had his hands in the assembly of most of the machines and it is rumoured his wife was also involved in the project to!

vinnyvee, Mar 16, 2009
  5. Darren

Stevew

The CD1 : a employees perspective on build

Cambridge audio was my first ever job ! _ I just walked in there after college and said 'Gis a job' and they did ...so I started as a test engineer , builder , packer , tea maker etc.

I started in May 1985 - The protoype CD1 had just come back from the Chicago show - as a one box model . It was a fantasy model , a 'concept car' if you like . the response was so good that orders were placed and it had to put into production . I think thats where the swearing started as it would not fit into one box - so it had to go into two Boxes , the transport in one and the dac in another . Legend has it that this is how the fashion for two box cd players started.

In those days it was difficult to get Philips to supply mechanisms and the electronics without signing up for the 'Red book' protocol which cost around 25K (in 1985) money to do .(indeed Arcam were the first company to do so but that another lifetime/story) so Hifi companies like Meridian , Mission would buy in a CD player and tweak it. Cambridge Audio Bought CD103s and stripped them down and used some of the parts as a basis for the CD1. Which means that if you want a replacement mech for a CD1 buy a working CD103 cheap as an insurance policy.

Lots of mods , power supplies and as mentioned potted dacs were added , but the Mechanism was cast from lead- on a camping gas stove - with lead from scrapyards. The health and safety was interesting to say the least:D . The postman drilled and tapped the lead bars . :)

I did'nt get involved with testing - i remember stan doing at least the Dac measurements in his lab next door - The Dac board does have filtering - but I believe it is Analogue due to the relays coming in after the dac.

All in all happy days - I remember Dire Straits bieng blasted out through a pair of bridged Cambridge audio A250s via the CD1 ..

Cheers

Stevew, May 8, 2009
  6. Darren

Haselsh1 Shaun H

Hmmm... I well remember the CD1 and CD2. It was such a shame what happened to that company but the facts appear to have been swept right under the carpet. I wonder if others remember the demise (without libelling oneself of course)​

Haselsh1, May 8, 2009
  7. Darren

Werner

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Werner, May 11, 2009
  8. Darren

hifiboy

early 80's players

re: early 80's cd players!! :cambridge cd1 (rare as rocking horse poo) and philips cd104,74, 84 players once youve done the nos and power supply upgrades etc, there not many very very expensive players to touch them!!!!!! its the philips 1540 chip that is the secret!! dynamic and punchy!! especially my cd1 which has 3 per channnel!!! 1541 is very good but is a bit laid back, nice detail but not as versatile as 1540!!!! the new players are not built as well as the 80's players flimsy plastic transports and cheap chips!!!!! enough said!! pete

hifiboy, Feb 27, 2011
  9. Darren

RobHolt Moderator

One of these surfaced at the recent Wigwam show in good working order. Looks very impressive though never heard it.

RobHolt, Mar 16, 2011
Ask a Question