Cambridge Audio CD32

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, Nov 17, 2003.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I've bought my one of these CD players to replace the computer cd-rom as her main source. It will be partnered with a mid range 80wpc (an ebay add I saw for the same amp claimed this though I am not sure its accurate, it goes very very loud though) 1970's Pioneer amp and some pretty terrible semi home made pioner speakers that cost £20 from Richers.

I just want to know if anybody knows what Transport or DAC this unit has. It cost £50 from Richers so it can';t be that good. The display uni seems to be from a DVD player.

amazingtrade, Nov 17, 2003
  2. amazingtrade

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

Dunno, AFAIK, Cambridge Audio CDPs use Sony transports - at least the CD500 does.

However, it could be an el-cheapo CD-ROM transport to keep the costs down - I'm convinced some of the cheaper DVD players use them, judging by the size of the bezel on the end of the tray.

nsherin, Nov 17, 2003
  3. amazingtrade

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Some of the more expensive DVD players do as well....

The Myryad MDV300 is simply a DVD-Rom drive, a third-party (ie non-myryad) decoder board, a third party switch mode power supply board all in a myryad box with a couple of little myryad boards to glue it together...

I-S, Nov 18, 2003
  4. amazingtrade

Lt Cdr Data om

This is why some of them won't tell you any details, as its oem stuff, done on the REALLY cheap and they charge an arm and a leg.

enquirer: can you tell me any details of what's inside?

maker: oh yes, of course, well, the transport we buy from pc world, we get a decoder board from pc chips, get daewoo ship us a few of those cheap SMPS, get an output stage from philips, to do this we just got the data sheet and got someone to do the pcb, put it together, tested it, and now chage £1500, anything else you want to know.

how much of this was designed by yourselvers?

maker? hardly any:D

in reality

enquirer: can you tell me any details of what's inside?

maker: our circuit details are confidential and we do not divulge, for fear of others copying our proprietry circuitry. ( finding out what cheap shit they used):D :D

Lt Cdr Data, Nov 18, 2003
Ask a Question