Can advice on DAC

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mysticaldodo, Jun 19, 2005.

1. mysticaldodo

mysticaldodo

I'm looking to purchase a DAC for music listening (not monitoring).

I think having a transparent source and letting the amp and headphone colouring the sound would be a good idea :confused:

Anyway:

Source.....EMU 1212M(very flat sounding)/ CA Azur 640C (punchy and slightly smooth)

Amp.....XCan 3 (modded)

Headphones....AKG 501/ Senn HD 595

My choices are mostly second hand around USD 1000 range:

1. Audio Synthesis DAX (the one before Decade)...USD 1100
    2. Audiomeca Ambrosia....USD 1315
    3. Goldmund Mimesis 12...USD 1050
    4. Benchmark DAC1...USD 1050 (its overpriced from where I come from)

Only the Benchmark DAC1 and possibly Ambrosia are new. There is no return policy and it is difficult to demo the sets because they are still with the owners (I'm dealing with a middlemen) but I can demo the Ambrosia though. There is no demo set for Benchmark so I have to order it blindly. But then again, how exactly do you demo a DAC??? :D

Any advice appreciated. I want to expand the sound of my current setup. I've heard alot of cdp and felt the improvements were not enough (more expensive in long term). I don't want to go for high end cdps as they are wayyy above my budget.

Thank You :)

ps. I must add, it was impossible to find reviews andf information for option 2 and 3. Apparently they are not as better known as Audio Synthesis DAX or Benchmark DAC1.

mysticaldodo, Jun 19, 2005
  2. mysticaldodo

julian2002 Muper Soderator

md,
    i've not heard the goldmund or that particular adiomecca however of the dax-2 and dac1 i much preferred the a/s offering - however be careful as it is quite transport dependant requiring one with reasonably low jitter to enable it to lock on with it's better quality lock.
    most dedicated cdp's seemed to be ok (there's a helpful little light that tells you when this happens).
    i was in pretty much the same boat as you when i bought the a/s however i wasn;t dissapointed - people differ though.
    cheers

julian.

julian2002, Jun 20, 2005
  3. mysticaldodo

mysticaldodo

Thanks, but aren't most new entry level cdps low jitter already?. Will research more. Thanks...I'll definitely try out the A/S. I tried the Benchmark today againts CEC's DAC and was quite pleased.

mysticaldodo, Jun 20, 2005
Ask a Question