can anyone recommend cables for a rotel/b&w setup ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by scotty19tx, Feb 11, 2006.

1. scotty19tx

scotty19tx

hi people,
    i was wondering if anyone could advise me on what the best interconects and speaker cable to use in my system would be? Im using rotel ra01 amp, rcd02 cd player and b&w dm602s3 speakers, currently using qed silver anniversary speaker cable and qed quenex 2 i/c's - overall im happy with the sound but would like the midrange to sound a little more foreward without it sounding overly bright, any advice especially from people wit the same setup would be appreciated, also is bi wiring recommended with the 602's ?

scotty19tx, Feb 11, 2006
  2. scotty19tx

technobear Ursine Audiophile

The leads you have are good enough. If you want more midrange presence or vocal projection then my advice would be to swap the Rotel CD player for an Arcam.

technobear, Feb 11, 2006
  3. scotty19tx

Tim F

I really didn't like the QED stuff, it sounds very dull. Try some Chord rumour or oddessey, should liven things up a lot.

Tim F, Feb 11, 2006
  4. scotty19tx

Tim F

On second thoughts that'll probably make your kit too bright. Go with the bear.

Tim F, Feb 11, 2006
  5. scotty19tx

sane4sure

Have a listen to DNM Reson speaker cable - It certainly did the business for me when I was running Rotel gear.

sane4sure, Feb 11, 2006
  6. scotty19tx

palacefan

If you want a fantastic interconnect look on Ebay for a guy called cableman111,I use Kimber kcag which suits my system and is expensive but this chap makes 99.99% silver foil cables.

I have recently installed a couple of his top of the range cables and they are superior to kcag.

He does a cheaper cable usually starting at £49 which could well be your answer-Do not be fooled because he does not have a big brand name,his stuff is brilliant and he is a decent guy as well.

palacefan, Feb 11, 2006
  7. scotty19tx

Jimbo

To get a forward sound you may need to change your electronics .Cables may help. You could try these as they let you try the cables in your home and work on sale and return. http://www.the-missing-link.net/
    Naim amps and Naim cdx players have a forward sound which some people love or hate. The one trouble with the forward sound you may sacrifice some soundstage. Jimbo

Jimbo, Feb 11, 2006
  8. scotty19tx

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

palacefan, there still seems to be a large mark-up on that ebay sellers cables.

He is selling a silver cable which uses 6m of silver cable in a platted style with locking WTB rca's.

You can get a similar cable (below) for £10 p/m (£60 total) plus a pair of plugs. Bullets or WTB are about £30.

http://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/wire.html

He wants £250 which is a large profit mark-up, although not quite in Kimber league.

bottleneck, Feb 11, 2006
  9. scotty19tx

palacefan

Thanks Bottleneck

I am not suggesting that he buys a £250 cable, they are silver foil with air dialectric and at £49 he will struggle to get better.

Plus not everyone is into making cables although that route would perhaps be a good way for him go.

palacefan, Feb 11, 2006
  10. scotty19tx

Douzeper

I have Rotel 1062, rotel cdplayer power amp etc, with B&W 704's, stick with what you have but change your ic's. Silver anniversary here too but spent £200 odd's on IC's. Best to trial some, if you like the sound you have then chances are you won't like the Arcam that was recommended, I did'nt.

Douzeper, Feb 11, 2006
  11. scotty19tx

zanash

The QED is a true horror....I have one

you can build a very nice one yourself...take a look at my diy thread.

If you want commercial you could do far worse than some of the missing link cables. If you want to build your own pm me and I'll proved a really stonking cable recipe.

The silver anni cables ok ..better than a lot if you want to go cheap try 15amp solid core mains this may suprise you as to how good it is. As to other speaker cables I couldn't tell you as I've made my own.

zanash, Feb 11, 2006
  12. scotty19tx

scotty19tx

Thanks for all the advice people - think i might try the dnm reason or the chord rumour speaker cable -, should i use single or bi - wire ? I just sold my arcam cd 72 and replaced it with the rotel 02, the rotel was a massive improvment over the arcam in my system and sounds alot more detailed. I just tried using an atlas equator interconnect i had sitting in a cupboard and its added a little more depth to the midrange so think i will just try a diffrent speaker cable.

scotty19tx, Feb 11, 2006
Ask a Question