Can I do this?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by adam, Dec 17, 2003.

1. adam

adam

I am in the process of picking up a Conrad Johnson PV10AL from the states,due to the €uro going through the roof against the $ i decided to get one,sent over for 480€,considering they are for sale here at 1500 odd €uros.

What i was thinking of doing was using the CJ for the pre,which it is,and using my copland CTA 401 integrated as the power,is this plausable?will it work?i would like to later sell the copland integrated for a Copland cta 505 power amp,but thats for later.I would just like to know if the integrated can in the meantime be used as the power,and can i still use the phono stage on the copland? also is it just a case of taking the pre out and conecting them to the coplands tape in?and if i want to use the phono stage how do i access it considering the copland would be just the power? phew! i hope that makes sense.

adam, Dec 17, 2003
  2. adam

Robbo

err, you have managed to confuse me:) One question, what are you doing for voltage conversion?

Robbo, Dec 17, 2003
  3. adam

adam

I contacted CJ and they told me a voltage conversion is avaliable,I'll just need to send it to the importer when it gets here.

adam, Dec 17, 2003
  4. adam

Tenson Moderator

You can use the Copland as a power if it has a pre-amp in or if not you should be able to plug the pre amp into the CD input and have the Copland at full volume. The volume will be controlled from the preamp.

As for the phono-stage in the Copland, its not possible unless the amp can set the 'record out' to something different from what you are monitoring. If it can then plug ur TT into the phono in then plug the tape out into the pre-amp. On the Copland set the record selector to the phono and the monitor selector to the input you have the pre-amp on.

Hope that makes sense and good luck!

Tenson, Dec 17, 2003
Ask a Question