Car Audio Problem

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by garyi, Dec 14, 2003.

1. garyi

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Guys I am at the end of my teather!

I have a girly ford KA. The stereo has always been fine but recently has been exhibiting distortion.

ITs a crackly noise which is evident throughout the radio frequency even when there is nothing tuned.

I don't believe its the arial as this problem only occurs once the engine is started, and the crackle speeds up with the engine revs.

If the engine is off then the stereo is just fine.

Also its not the stereo as I have two of them the basic model and a 6000 CD player model both exhibiting the same probelm.

If any one has any ideas I would really appriciate it, I travel a fair way each day and I can hardly hear the radio any more. Also if any one knows of a friendly car forum, cheers.

P.S. I would take it too the ford dealership here, but if I get within 200 yards of that place it costs me 200 quid.

garyi, Dec 14, 2003
  2. garyi

julian2002 Muper Soderator

gary,
    somewhere in the radio's spaghetti of wires is something called a supressor. this stops what you are hearing, it sounds like yours is broken. take it to the nearest halfords or car audio place and they should be able to fix it. it shouldn't cost too much.

cheers

julian

julian2002, Dec 14, 2003
  3. garyi

Thanks Julian, would you be able to advise me what I am looking for before I head off to Halfords, they tend to be thick at our end of the woods!

garyi, Dec 14, 2003
  4. garyi

What it looks like that is, how big sort of thing and would it likely be at the radio end or stuck in the engine somewhere!

garyi, Dec 14, 2003
  5. garyi

Alas the purchase of the supressor was the easy bit. Discovering it has to go on the alternator which resides in a 3 inch space in the KA bay has led me to believe this one is beyond me. Ah well.

garyi, Dec 14, 2003
  6. garyi

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Take it to your friendly local tyre/battery/exhaust place. They'll know what to do with it.

technobear, Dec 14, 2003
  7. garyi

Rory satisfied

Rory, Dec 14, 2003
Ask a Question