Car Dealer trying to rip me off?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by I-S, Mar 24, 2004.

1. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I'm looking at getting the front brakes replaced on my car, so I went to my dealer today for a quote. Imagine my surprise at being quoted £367 for the work. This isn't a sports car with high performance brakes, but just bog standard family car stuff...

So, I checked what it cost when my dad had it done last on his car, and here's a brakedown (sic) of the relative costs (because I think my dad's car should cost more to have this done than mine). Both are authorised main dealers:

Front discs:
    Mitsubishi Galant: £69.22 + VAT each
    BMW 740iL: £68.00 + VAT each

Front pads (pair):
    Mitsubishi Galant: £42.43 + VAT
    BMW 740iL: £52 + VAT

Labour (main dealer)
    Mitsubishi: £132 + VAT
    BMW: £44.80 + VAT

The labour charge on the mitsubishi is taking the weewee I think. Are they trying to rip me off?

I-S, Mar 24, 2004
  2. I-S

The Devil IHTFP

Don't know, might be a more complicated job on the Galant than on the Beemer. Try phoning a few other places for comparative quotes.

Then buy a Beemer!

The Devil, Mar 24, 2004
  3. I-S

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Yep, I agree with bub, shoulda got a beemer instead, especially at those prices ;)

PBirkett, Mar 24, 2004
  4. I-S

julian2002 Muper Soderator

isaac, main dealers are rip off merchants. even my local 'kwik fit' lot were cheaper than that for my lexus! try to find a good independant guy.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Mar 24, 2004
  5. I-S

I might check around a few other places. There's another mitsubishi dealer I might go to, since if it's just a rip-off attempt then I'll go to them for servicing (car is still with FMSH so not too keen on breaking that). I'll probably get it done along with the next service, due in 1000 miles or so...

I-S, Mar 24, 2004
  6. I-S

julian2002 Muper Soderator

isaac,
    how old is the car? if it's more than 4 or 5 years there's not much difference between FMSH and FSH in an advert - as long as the book's been stamped and/or there are plenty of reciepts, old tax disks, mot certificates, etc. then it'll be ok come time to sell. certainly for brakes etc. it's worth finding the place with the cheapest labor charge even if you use genuine misubishi parts.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Mar 24, 2004
  7. I-S

Robbo

Havent DaimlerChrysler tied up with mistubishi? That'll explain the exbenzive stealership service costs!

Robbo, Mar 24, 2004
  8. I-S

Paul Ranson

Perhaps changing the discs on the Mitsubishi involves dismantling hubs and driveshafts? In which case 2 hours might be reasonable and you may not want your Kwik-Fit to do it? OR maybe you have to release the brake fluid?

Anyway worth looking into the mechanics of it.

Interestingly Mitsubishi were sued in the US regarding defective front brakes on the 1999 Galant.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Mar 24, 2004
  9. I-S

The Devil IHTFP

Good point: all Beemers are rear-wheel drive, apart from the footballers' wives carriages which they make.

The Devil, Mar 25, 2004
  10. I-S

Annoyingly there's no haynes manual for the galant ('98, early 8th gen (just discontinued last year, no uk replacement)).

The US galant, although similar in external appearance, was actually surprisingly different underneath, with different engine and interior, so the brakes may not be the same. I know that they are prone to warping on uk cars, but otherwise are fine...

I-S, Mar 25, 2004
  11. I-S

Rory satisfied

lsuk aka Lucas Spares UK is usually pretty competitive...an Astra alternator for my 1.7dti would be £120 from them as opposed to £350 for a GM part from Vauxhall dealer.

Rory, Mar 25, 2004
  12. I-S

I phoned another mitsubishi main dealer, and they quoted rather less. The part prices were similar, but labour charge was £66. Rather more reasonable. I'll look into getting the parts cheaper somewhere else, and get them to fit at the next service.

I-S, Mar 25, 2004
  13. I-S

Mart Smog Dodger

I have a Hyundai Coupe, and the main dealer near me is astronomical on his pricing, Petches wanted nearly £ 400 for brake pads and a service.

Got it for less than half that, then grinning like an idiot I hit a pothole and bent an alloy. Bugger.

Mart, Mar 26, 2004
Ask a Question