Car insurance for young drivers

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Nov 17, 2005.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

My mate had a very very minor accident a month ago in a car park, it made a tiny dent in a bonnet of a clapped out Ronda Accord and caused no damage to his car.

Now his insurancers are saying its going to cost him £2000 a year third party for a K Reg Ford Fiesta worth £200.

Clearly he is not going to pay this and me and my mate are not even convinced the accident was my mates fault.

Surely there must be much cheaper insurancers out there? He is almost 22 and I think the amount they want is just stupid.

amazingtrade, Nov 17, 2005
  2. amazingtrade

mr cat Member of the month

try confused.com

mr cat, Nov 17, 2005
  3. amazingtrade

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Young males are a much higher risk group statistically. As soon as there's an at-fault accident on record then they can and will charge what they want. Drivers who have had an accident are several times more likely to have a similar accident in future than ones who have not. And FWIW, even with 1yr NCB and IAM certificate, they still relieved me of £1500 for insurance when I was 22.

I-S, Nov 17, 2005
  4. amazingtrade

la toilette Downright stupid

...and 'fault' can be attributed in accidents that are no-ones fault, in my experience. I hit a fox that ran out in front of me giving me no chance of avoiding it (especially as I had my then-pregnant girlfriend, our young daughter, and my Mum in the car, so crazy manoeuvres were not appropriate). I claimed on my insurance as the fox took out the bumper/spotlight/spoiler etc, as well as itself, and it wasn't going to be cheap to fix.

Hey, guess what, it was entirely my fault apparently, as they couldn't bill the fox.

Where there's a claim, there's blame.

la toilette, Nov 21, 2005
  5. amazingtrade

Paul Ranson

You made a claim, what did you expect? NCB is 'No Claims Bonus'.

I think that when I was 18 car insurance cost about £100-£150 for TPFT and that was roughly what a reasonable banger cost. I forget how much tax was.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2005
    Paul Ranson, Nov 21, 2005
  6. amazingtrade

la toilette Downright stupid

What?! No way, what an amazing revelation ;)

Mine's protected anyway, hur hur.....

My first car (in about 1988) cost about £400 -500 I think, for a T reg Opel Cadet (classy, I know, and it was 'mustard' coloured). Insurance was about £150 if I remember right.

I think these days all the insurance companies hammer young male drivers more than ever (for a reason, obviously), but seemingly a lot of teenagers manage to afford the premium as there seem to be a lot of hot hatches driven by them - but credit on cars and monthly payments on insurance makes these costs affordable I guess.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2005
    la toilette, Nov 22, 2005
  7. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

A lot of people who are drivng these chavhatches are not insured though, I mean how the hell can a 17 year old afford to insure a 15 year old Golf GTI?

amazingtrade, Nov 22, 2005
Ask a Question