Car reliability statistics

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tones, Dec 8, 2005.

1. tones

tones compulsive cantater

The TCS (Switzerland's AA) has just published its “Pannenhilfe†(breakdown assistance) figures for 2004, that is, the makes and models to which TCS road patrols were called in the event of a breakdown. It gives some sort of vague picture of the reliability of cars. Most of the top spots are not surprising (Japanese naturally), but the big surprise (for me anyway) was No.3. So, in descending order of most reliable (in terms of least number of breakdown calls per 1000 cars on the road):

1. Toyota Yaris
    2. Subaru Forester
    3. Ford Focus
    4. Toyota Corolla/Subaru Legacy
    6. Subaru Impreza
    7. Mercedes A-Class
    8. Toyota Avensis/VW Bora/Mitsubuishi Lancer/Skoda Octavia
    12. Toyota Previa
    13. BMW 3-Series
    14. Mazda 626
    15. Mercedes E-Class
    16. Subaru Justy/Toyota RAV4
    18. Honda Accord
    19. Mercedes C-Class
    20. Mazda 323

One cannot help but notice the total absence of French and Italian cars from the list (and Renault, Peugeot, Citroën and Fiat are big sellers here).

tones, Dec 8, 2005
  2. tones

michaelab desafinado

So, does the absence of French and Italian cars mean they got no breakdown calls at all or just that they're not in the top 20 most reliable?

I also notice the only VW entrant is the poor selling Bora (no Golf or Polo which must sell in huge numbers there). Since the Bora is just a Golf with a boot it's hard to see how the addition of a boot can suddenly make it reliable!

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 8, 2005
  3. tones

T-bone Sanchez

Think the Bora and Golf are made at different plants which can make a big difference, as I found when at Merc!

T-bone Sanchez, Dec 8, 2005
  4. tones

Mr_Sukebe

Have to say that I've owned 5 Japanese cars now, and never had any significant issues with any of them. In comparison my BMW was a complete dog.
    Japanese technology gets my thumbs up!

Mr_Sukebe, Dec 8, 2005
  5. tones

The latter. Citroën is, I believe, particularly disastrous.

The Golf is Switzerland's top-selling car, second is the Opel Astra (Opel, you'll notice, is completely absent from the list). Perhaps the presence of a boot with which to kick the car when it misbehaves acts as a deterrent. Is the Golf - Bora difference really just that Mike? I thought there was more to it than that (I confess I don't know and have never looked into it).

tones, Dec 8, 2005
  6. tones

T-bone Sanchez

I dont know the differnces but the Bora (so to be Jetta again) is primarily for the US market where its a big seller, Ive always quite liked the current Bora though would much prefer the original Bora sat in my garage!

7. tones

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

I don't know how it works with the TCS in Switzerland, but in the UK not all of the car manufacturers have awarded their breakdown contracts to the AA. The RAC and other organizations have some as well. These would not, of course, appear on the AA's lists.

Regards
    Steve

7_V, Dec 8, 2005
  8. tones

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Citroen, Renault And Peugeot are not good. Renault are dreadful of late.

Certainly I'm sticking with japanese cars. Mine now has 100600 miles on it, has never broken down or had anything but routine maintenance or sorting out something caused by incompetant mechanics.

I-S, Dec 8, 2005
  9. tones

Sir Galahad Harmonia Mundi

Granted, Isaac, but at least, they exist. Try a comparable acronym with British brands ... :)

Sir Galahad, Dec 8, 2005
  10. tones

An excellent point!

There's a certain amount of luck involved too. My Opel Astra Caravan doesn't feature on the list, yet at 12 years old and 220,000Km (about 136,700 miles) I had to call out the TCS for the first time this year when the water pump failed. Otherwise only minor things have gone wrong. Obviously Russelheim had a good day that day.

tones, Dec 8, 2005
  11. tones

I don't think there are any such arrangements in Switzerland, Steve, so the TCS can say what it likes (and apparently does).

tones, Dec 8, 2005
  12. tones

badchamp Thermionic Member

Obviously the less they sell the less there are to break down!

The stats would be much more relevant if related to unit numbers sold. Which probably explains the absence of the large selling French cars.

Jeff

badchamp, Dec 8, 2005
  13. tones

la toilette Downright stupid

I take it that none of those 5 was a Nissan then. My experience of 2 nissans were ones of utter cheapo crapness, it makes me shudder to think that I ever sat in them, let alone owned them, especially the last one (S reg TD Primera - they may be cheap to buy, but just don't do it, even if low mileage...).

Actually to be fair buying a car (especially a used one) is a complete lottery. With a very few exceptions there are horror stories to be heard for most models of most makes.

Recent French cars have sold by the bucket load, why so if they are so unreliable? Is it all clever marketing?

la toilette, Dec 8, 2005
  14. tones

T-bone Sanchez

Sir G, Im working on it! Trying to get Westfield, Caterham, TVR, London Taxi Co. Ariel, Morgan, Bristol, Marcos and erm 'others' into a word that is actually found in the dictionary.

Before I get my coat I would like to point out that good old Blighty produces 9% of the worlds total production of cars. I would also like to point out that erm, no I'll just leave now.

15. tones

T-bone Sanchez

Nissan are in fact French due to being owned by Renault.

Marketing but above all cheap finance and 'free' deals such as insurance, VAT and interest. Go to any auction and you'll see row after row of Saxo's, 206's and Clio's plus mile after mile of Rover 25's and their MG equivalent.

16. tones

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

French cars sell well because they have individual and clever design, excellent safety, etc. However, they frequently do very badly in all reliability and satisfaction surveys. That said, a colleague has a 406 which has been fine.

Sir Galahad - granted. But then Britain has no industry of any sort whatsoever any more. We don't build british aircraft, british cars, british computers, british trains etc. There's a few cottage industries for cars and hifi, but they're feeling the pinch more and more. So france does have my respect as at least maintaining some degree of industry. However, when it's my hard earned on the line, I won't take the gamble that is involved.

I-S, Dec 8, 2005
  17. tones

Mr_Sukebe

Since you mention it, one was a Nissan 200SX, which was a fairly highly stressed turbo coupe, one the cars that I actually expected to have issues with. Absolutely no bother at all, one of the best cars I've ever owned.

Mr_Sukebe, Dec 8, 2005
  18. tones

And remarkably something like 80% of the world's racing cars! This gets back to Isaac's cottage industry - the British are apparently very good at making things in small numbers in this way (like the hi-fi industry), not so good at large-scale production.

tones, Dec 8, 2005
  19. tones

Phill77

My S reg 1.6 Primera is a joy to behold. 178,000 miles, never failed an MOT, never broken down.

Boring as hell to look at though...

Phill77, Dec 8, 2005
  20. tones

michaelab desafinado

Check the original post - the numbers are breakdowns per 1000 cars sold ;)

AFAIK the Bora is just a Golf with a boot and a couple of very minor styling differences. Don't know if they're made in different factories or not.

FWIW I've driven BMWs (E30 and E36 3 series) for the last 10 years with an 18 month hiatus as a Ferrari owner and never had a single breakdown with them. The Fezza did breakdown once though :)

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 8, 2005
Ask a Question