Cara Question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by scott_01, Apr 26, 2008.

1. scott_01

scott_01

I have a couple of CARA questions for any of the regular users on here, they are pretty basic.

In the loudspeaker editor I have the lowest impedance figure for my speakers (Revel M22), which is 4.8 Ohm @ 160Hz. Yet when I type this into the 'Minimum At' box the value then defaults to the Max 2. box when I click 'next', as shown below:

[​IMG]

Am I fundamentally misunderstanding something very basic here?

As an aside the program lets you alter the slope of the front - rear baffle, and the angle of the sides ( to make a pyramid) It doesn't let you taper the cabinet towards the rear like my revels are, hence I have to place the drivers on the bottom and port at the rear before rotating 90 degrees in the listening room.

I've asked Revel for all the parameters not in the instruction manual but they haven't replied yet and my speakers are a couple of hundred miles away and I was wondering if anyone had a reasonable template for these speakers?

scott_01, Apr 26, 2008
  2. scott_01

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Scott

Just a guess, it's been ages since I've played on cara.

Are you setting the 'max at' figure higher than the 1.max figure (therefore setting an impossibility?) just a guess.

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Apr 26, 2008
  3. scott_01

scott_01

Chris

I don't think so, at least not intentionally. I type the 160Hz figure into the min box and then it defaults to the 'Max 2' Box.

No error message pops up, with those figures shown above it just seems to be that it won't accept the 160Hz figure as the min impedance. I was just wondering if this was some kind of impossibility or if it was just a glitch?

Cheers

Scott

scott_01, Apr 26, 2008
  4. scott_01

felix part-time Horta

Mmm, have tried it, seems to be a glitch.

That said, if you type new values into the impedance and sensitivity boxes, and uncheck 'calculate impedance values automatically' it does seem you can type what you want into the '1max', '2max' and 'minimum at' boxes. Hit 'next' and these values should stick.

Don't sweat it either way - these parameters have very, very little effect on the final room response compared with positioning!

felix, Apr 26, 2008
  5. scott_01

scott_01

Thanks Felix

I suspected that. I'm quite impressed with CARA though, needed some fine tuning when I tried it on my parents system but it gives a great starting point, I wish I'd got it earlier.

scott_01, Apr 27, 2008
Ask a Question