cartridge advice needed

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by matt-powell, Mar 13, 2008.

1. matt-powell

matt-powell

hello
    i'm a bit new to this and compared to many of your rigs mine seems a little lo-fi but i'm in need of a new cartridge and am a bit confused as to what might suit.
    the rig is as follows

Thorens td160b mk2
    sme3009 arm (fixed headshell)
    running into an arcam alpha 5 amp

the current cart is a shure m75ed an i was told that the stylii were no longer available (is this true?)

what would be a good replacement? (i was given the turntable and have no idea how old the cart is so am replacing it for peace of mind.

my maximum price is £70 i guess so please keep your ideas below that (or under £100 but don't tell the missus!)
    i mainly play jazz, blues and classical with a bit of rock when the mood takes me

Thanks in advance

Matthew

matt-powell, Mar 13, 2008
  2. matt-powell

RobHolt Moderator

Look no further than a Denon DL110 high output MC which just happens to cost £70. It will beat the M75 to a pulp and the medium (damped) compliance will be fine in the SME.

It has slightly lower output than the Shure so you'll need to wind up the volume knob just a tad more. Don't let that concern you as the cartridge actually generates less noise (fewer coil turns/lower inductance) than a typical MM.

RobHolt, Mar 13, 2008
Ask a Question