cartridge for lp12

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by A.N., Jul 19, 2005.

1. A.N.

A.N.

just bought myself a v nice lp12, ittok, valhalla, and need some recommendations on a cart, so far have whittled it down to these for demo:-
    denon dl304, sumiko blue point, dynavector DV10x5, denon dl160 & goldring elite.

what do you guys recommend.??

heres a pic of the plinth colour:-

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2005
    A.N., Jul 19, 2005
  2. A.N.

Mr.C

From personal experience I can tell you that both the Denon DL304 and the Dynavector are rather good, both very good value for money - I'd probably go for the DL304 on build, bass and overall musical performance though.

Mr.C, Jul 19, 2005
  3. A.N.

johnhunt recidivist

i'd go for denons ,depending on phono stage

johnhunt, Jul 20, 2005
  4. A.N.

A.N.

i will be using the phono stage in the 92 (mc) and hopefully, will also add an outboard p/s along the likes of lingo or o/live when funds permit, due to other peoples recommendations.

the denons do seem v favourable it seems.

cheers guys, much appreciated :)

A.N., Jul 20, 2005
  5. A.N.

johnhunt recidivist

i know nothing abiut nailm phono stages but fior the psu i'd go for a lingo 2 , they are a shed load of cash and there will be people who tell you different-naim/origin live .

although it worked for me

johnhunt, Jul 20, 2005
  6. A.N.

griffo104

I've recently been using a Goldring Elite on my LP12 (about to be replaced by the dorian) and was using a Denon DL304 before that.

Personally I have enjoyed the Elite more than the DL304. I found it was better over a wider range of music and got the timbre of instruments better especially when listening to classical records. However, the DL304 is very good all rounder but I found it just a bit too polite when it came to rocking out. I also found the Elite a little less fussing regarding the quality of the vinyl - important if buying lots of 2nd hand stuff like I do.

On the negative side I find the Elite can be a bit 'spitty' with vocals especially on more commercial modern recordings.

Also the Denon is very quiet so you do need a good phono stage. I got the best out of it when I moved from a densen DP Drive to the Dino as this allowed me to adjust the gain. This improved the cart no end from what I had originally been putting up with - I think it has half the output of the Elite.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2005
    griffo104, Jul 20, 2005
Ask a Question