Cartridge off centre

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by sammyo, Aug 12, 2009.

1. sammyo

sammyo

I received my new cartridge (Ortofon Rondo Red) in the mail today. It was very well packaged but the stylus is very slightly off centre, pointing to the left a little.

Is this normal? Terrible? Fixable?

sammyo, Aug 12, 2009
  2. sammyo

Noel Winters

Will probably centre when playing record. I have a new Denon
    that has the same problum R103. Watch your anti skate to see
    it dont move it to much. I find that if you dont view your
    cartridge dead centre it will look to be a little to one side.
    Noel W.

Noel Winters, Aug 13, 2009
  3. sammyo

johnandchris

If you have bought it brand new, send it back for a replacement.

johnandchris, Aug 13, 2009
  4. sammyo

sammyo

I ordered it from overseas and replacing it will be a real nuisance. I may end up doing that but would like to know the best approach if I decide to keep it.

sammyo, Aug 13, 2009
  5. sammyo

sammyo

To be clear, the cantilever is centred at the point where it meets the rest of the cartridge but points ever so slightly to one side. It really is only just visible.

sammyo, Aug 13, 2009
  6. sammyo

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

bottleneck, Aug 13, 2009
  7. sammyo

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

8. sammyo

vincula

Must be a pain to set azimuth:(. I promised to myself not to comment on the Rondo, so I won't:D. Quite a good portion of Denon DL-160's had the same problem. Quality control, that is. Sonic consequences could be minor, but still not as it should be, especially not at the price!

The Danes behind Ortofon are proud and quality-minded people, so I'd write to Ortofon Danmark Headqt. to make a claim. Tell them about your problem attaching the serial number.
    It's free to claim. And you could only get positively surprised, I suppose.

Regards,

Vincula

vincula, Aug 14, 2009
  9. sammyo

sammyo

Vincula, I don't know how you do it. The other cartridge I have ordered to try is the DL-160. It hasn't arrived yet but I have an awful feeling now.

Thanks, though, for your help. It's much appreciated.

sammyo, Aug 14, 2009
  10. sammyo

nando nando

i use the same cartridge on the project x-pack, the counterliver and stylus are dead straight, there should not be a diferential twist of angle,
    nando.

nando, Aug 14, 2009
  11. sammyo

sammyo

Ortofon website says to go back through the dealer, which is a bit of a nuisance. What do you think about trying to gently move the cantilever into place?

sammyo, Aug 14, 2009
  12. sammyo

vincula

Don't do that unless you're very very experienced! If you break it, you won't be covered by any warranty, and you might end up with a costly retipping :(.
    Hope the issues with the DL-160 are sorted out by now, though it will of course depend on how much stock they had. It'll be fine.
    Next time, go and buy local. London's a great place for hi-fi purchase!
    The difference with the American dollar is temping, but then....LP gear in the US is a safe site to buy from though. Nice chaps behind with a wide and deep knowledge of analogue matters.
    Any problems, just ship it back and get a new one. That's my advice. And postage isn't that expensive either.

Regards,

Vincula

PS. Analogue requires a little bit of patience, trial and error. Then you'll be gratified with the stunning sound of real music. Keep it cool :cool:

vincula, Aug 14, 2009
  13. sammyo

nando nando

no, don't disarter,
    nando

nando, Aug 14, 2009
  14. sammyo

nando nando

there is a great problem with trying to save money from blind purchaces save a penny loose a pound, the problem you may be facing is that you have damaged the cartridge your self, in their defence they can claim that,as being brought from abroad u.k. distributer will not want to know,
    sorry but that is the fact,
    nando

nando, Aug 14, 2009
  15. sammyo

stereotype

Fiddling about with side thrust is a compromise, but it may be an acceptable one in the circumstances. But if the cantilever does not centre when playing, it's unacceptable, because if the cantilever is not dead centre in use, the left signal cannot be in correct phase with the right, and the generating system must have a channel imbalance. The first is difficult to check, but channel balance is checkable, and if the cantilever moves towards the centre position in play, and if a channel balance check is satisfactory, there may be no need to change the cartridge.

Cartridges should never be sold new with off-centre cantilevers, not even cheap ones, because customers should be able to set up as per instructions without having to juggle. My guess is that this one passed Ortofon's own quality control test. It may be that its cantilever has been dislodged after testing, maybe in transit, and very gentle manipulation might put things right. That is what I might give it in your circumstance, but then I've done this sort of thing before. If you don't feel confident, don't try it, because this item is not a cheapie. Whatever you do, don't get a steel or iron tool near it. And don't blame me if it goes wrong! The safest thing is to simply get an exchange from the dealer, which might cost more in shipping, and take time, but you'll know you got what you paid for (assuming the replacement is ok).

stereotype, Aug 14, 2009
  16. sammyo

henley

Under no circumstances try to move the cantilever! The cartridge should be perfect and it should be returned to your dealer. If they are reluctant, please say you have been advised to by the UK distributor for Ortofon.

To be honest, i'm surprised you found it necessary to purchase overseas as most find that the UK is amongst the cheapest in the world for Ortofon products - and you would have had a nice dealer to talk to about getting an instant replacement.

Anyway, I hope you get it sorted.

henley, Aug 21, 2009
Ask a Question