Cartridge output question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by johnfromnorwich, Apr 21, 2007.

1. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

I'm i dire need of a new cartridge and had more or less decided on a Denon DL110 on the basis of price and recommendations on this and other forums. However, I notice that it is rated at 1.6mV output. I'm currently running a rega elys 2 (rated at a whopping 7mV) and I'm still having to crank the pre-amp up to ~ 2-o'clock to get reasonable volume (a good 3 or 4 notches below CD). It seems to me that this is going to be a problem with a lower output cartridge. My phono stage has an input sensitivity of 3.5mV / 47kOhm. The specs of the rst of the gear don't look outsie the norm so do I need to worry / think again?

= John

Kit =
    Gyro/Orbe > Creek OBH8 > Glasshouse TVC> WAD6550> MA GR10

johnfromnorwich, Apr 21, 2007
  2. johnfromnorwich

RobHolt Moderator

Hi John,

The Elys isn't as high as 7mv - more like 3-4mv in practice. People measure cartridges differently which throws up some wild results.

The output of the 110 is a little lower than a typical MM but the output is sourced from a much lower impedance as there are fewer coil turns in the generator. This actually mitigates against the additional noise from cranking up the phono stage an extra notch or two.

You should be fine. I've yet to hear of anyone having noise problems with a DL110 or DL160.

PS: The Elys is rather mediocre by Rega standards and the Denon will have you shaking your head in amazement at the improvement. I don't know how they do this at the price.

RobHolt, Apr 21, 2007
  3. johnfromnorwich

Machineman

Hi,
    when I went from an Elys to a DL110, I had to adjust the volume knob from 11 O'Clock to 12 to get the same output.
    This is using a Naim Stageline N rated at 2mV, so a little more sensitive than yours.

On the subject of sound quality between the 2 carts. Initial impressions are the Denon sounds less weighty with better highs.
    Still haven't run it in yet but I don't detect a massive difference in a LP12.
    I was led to believe that the Denon was a quiet cart in the surface noise dept, however It seems no better than the Rega so I am a little surprised/disappointed.

BTW, a mag reviewer measured the actual output of the Denon and found it to be 2.2 mV

Machineman, Apr 21, 2007
  4. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

Cheers folks. I'd read of the 'higher than official' output of the 110 - which is promising. In the medium to long term I'll probably replace the phono stage with something more flexible anyway so provided I can get usable volume and no radical decrease in the sound quality (whatever that is!), I'll be happy. Everything I've read indicates that I could do better than te Rega for the money. I guess it doesn't matter if I'm winding the volume control further round - it's there to be used after all.

johnfromnorwich, Apr 22, 2007
  5. johnfromnorwich

Machineman

Exactly, in fact a lot of people moan about not being able to use much of the volume knob range.

Machineman, Apr 22, 2007
  6. johnfromnorwich

nando nando

Hi Try Loading It To 100 Ohms, Regards Nando.

nando, Apr 23, 2007
  7. johnfromnorwich

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

With a passive, you're getting 'better tone' when it is attenuating less at a higher setting anyway..

bottleneck, Apr 23, 2007
  8. johnfromnorwich

Baudrillard

But, conversely, you don't want to wind the volume control all the way round because input impedance is at its lowest, or hardest to drive, at 0 attenuation (and highest at -46db).

As you also want output impedance to be as low as practicle, more attenuation means more driving power.

If I remember correctly, it was Murray who criticised the MF TVC for not sounding quite right tonally (with strings), although mainly when the volume was set very low (around -34 db). Not sure if he ever got to hear a S&B MK3 either.

Personally speaking, cannot say I've ever noticed any differences in tonality whatsoever with the volume near maximum attenuation on my MK3.

Edit: I've just ordered a DL-110 myself to go with my RB250- should arrive this week.

Baudrillard, Apr 23, 2007
  9. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

Well, I've taken the plunge and bought one anyway. I figure for that kind of money, it's just not worth obsessing about it. I'll listen, see what I think and report back.....

johnfromnorwich, Apr 23, 2007
Ask a Question