cartridge recommendation

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Donut, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Donut

Donut

Currently I'm using an Ortofon MC14 II Super with my Project rpm6 (with Project 9 arm). Currently I have too much bass:eek: that seems to be a bit bloated. Not sure if this is down to the Phono stage (MF X-LPs) or the cartridge. The rest of my system is fine (cdp and tuner) so the MF X-A200r and Dalis seem to be OK.

Options I would consider are....
    1) Change interconnects - currently use the stock Project earth interconnect from TT to Phono stage and QED Qunex2 from Phono stage to Amp.

2) Change cartridge - don't really want to spend more than about %0£ including px for th MC15

3) change Phono stage - don't rteally want to do this as I'm not convinced this is a major problem - after all I like the MF X series "sound".

The interconnect option would be preferable - currently use Kimber for cdp and tuner and like these so maybe kimber for the TT to Phono to amp links.

Donut

Donut, Apr 7, 2004
  2. Donut

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Might be worth checking the Vertical Tracking Angle. Generally the arm should be parallel with the vinyl with the needle down.

If its tail end down a bit - could lead to bloaty bass. Tail up will lead to a hollow, toppy sound. Not sure exactly how you do it with your arm - If it can be done, there should be a mechanism for raising or lowering the arm at the pivot end, but I believe the Project 9 allows for VTA adjustment.

May make no difference, but if it does its free :)

Uncle Ants, Apr 7, 2004
  3. Donut

Donut

Thanks Unc.
    VTA may well be the problem. I set it up with the pivot end slightly down as I read somewhere that it has been found that this produces a better sound even though all manufacturers say the arm should be level - maybe if you want loads of bass:rolleyes: I'll try to set it level - or even front down to see what difference it makes.
    Donut

Donut, Apr 7, 2004
  4. Donut

Lt Cdr Data om

I have just sold a kontrapunkt B, its a VERY powerful sound, and was totally overbearing in my sub optimal system...nad 533 and rega 250 arm, it was quite tiring, and the bass was a bit undefined, I don't know if this is a cahrateristic of the cartridge, I suspect it is partly, but I have a rohman running now, and its sounding very nice, bass is in proportion, and I can hear it, so it could be the cartridge.

mind you I have just found out how much my bass tightens up with feedback on the amp, its a SET, and tis a bit less tight, not loose, just different, thicker. v hard to explain

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2004
    Lt Cdr Data, Apr 7, 2004
  5. Donut

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I have a Kontrapunkt B.

I would say that its a fine cartridge, and getting it sounding right is down to sympathetic components.

I prefer its bouyant dynamic sound to the Rohmann, which I find a little dull for me....

Both a little beyond budget though?

The MC15 is very good for the money - similar bouncy sound to the Kontrapunkts I think.

If you're looking for LESS bass though, maybe thats not the cartridge for you. Its very full sounding.

Chris

bottleneck, Apr 8, 2004
  6. Donut

Lt Cdr Data om

I liked its life and clarity, too, but in my system I preferred the Rohmann JUST. It was very minor. I think the rohman did subtletees and imaging so slightly better, imageing more so.
    The hellish track was just one though.On the whole I like the kb a lot.
    I accept it is a bit laid back, I have an mc15ii as well!! seems we have the same taste.
    Its very neutral maybe a little too, and fast.

I want to try a jubilee and 7500 next...try finding a 7500 cheap

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2004
    Lt Cdr Data, Apr 8, 2004
  7. Donut

Donut

Well, just before the weekend I adjusted the VTA. When I looked at the arm it was actually sloping down towards the cartridge:( so I levelled it up and the who sound has improved. Still the same amount of bass but now cleaner, but the biggest improvement is with the overall tonal balance. I only adjusted the arm quickley so I may spend a bit more time on getting it just right - but then again I don't want to get obsesive about it:D . Also Last night I had to move my speakers about 3" further forward - that has reduced the bass boom even further so I', now a very happy bunny:D :D :D :D
    Cheers all - especially UncleAnts
    Donut

Donut, Apr 14, 2004
  8. Donut

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

No point getting too obsessive, records vary in thickness and they also vary in the angle at which they were cut anyway, so the best you can ever hope for is the happy medium.

The ultra obsessive adjust VTA for each record and mark on the inner sleeve what the VTA setting should be be :eek: . Some use different thicknesses of mat to a similar effect :rolleyes: - all a bit sad if you ask me.

Uncle Ants, Apr 15, 2004
  9. Donut

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

This is something that some Audiophiles do & arms like the VPI & Grahams can be adjusted while the record is playing. The Americans are big on this. As Uncle Ants has said, it can get a bit obsessive but help is at hand.

All you need is one of these.

[​IMG]

A Rock Reference Master.

This has a remote controlled, motorised arm base to allow precise VTA/SRA adjustment. Digital readout range +/- 5mm with 10 micron resolution. Simply write the figure from the digital readout on your LP's inner sleeve and reset the next time you play it!.

A snip at £11,000. Tone arm extra.

http://www.townshendaudio.com/rockreference.htm

SCIDB

SCIDB, Apr 15, 2004
  10. Donut

Lt Cdr Data om

actually I have just got a new mc transformer, and it reveals the culprit.
    It is the ear 834s transformers, they are laid back and quietish in the top, refined to listen to , and a bit indistinct and messy in the bass. this is hypercritical, they are not bad, I thought something wasn't quite right, this confirms it.

Lt Cdr Data, Apr 16, 2004
  11. Donut

muffinman

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2004
    muffinman, Apr 16, 2004
  12. Donut

jonboselector

Cartridges

I'm not too shure (pun!) but it could be the cartridge. The Rohmann for example has a tight but quite slammy bass whereas an 20 Super has a warmer fatter bass. You might get a lighter bass from an Audio Technica OC5 - I think there are still some around. A cartridge on the whole should not give you too much more or less bass just differences in bass character.
    ________
    Weed bubblers

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2011
    jonboselector, Apr 16, 2004
  13. Donut

Lt Cdr Data om

personally, and I am loathe to do this, I suppose it is like criticising a lexicon reverb, if you know what that is, or a bmw.

but I am not sure if I really LOVE orotofon, I hated the 510, the kb was good a bit to much, not quite the same detail as the rohmann, but better clarity and projection, the rohman is too laid back, but fantastic fine detail, and the mc15II is too neutral.

so I think I am not an ortofon person.

I am using a denon 304 ATM and that seems to give the best of most worlds.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2004
    Lt Cdr Data, Apr 16, 2004
  14. Donut

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Donut,

I'm glad you are getting somewhere with you adjustments. Also the loading of the cartridge will have a bearing on the sound quality. Some amps & phonostages will allow for a selection of loading & different gains. Also all phono stages are not equal. One may have a good MM stage & a poorer MC stage. Also the cartridge, arm & Turntable combo will shape the overall sound.

Hi Bottleneck, Data,

The Kontrapunt B is a very good cartridge. I have a Kontrapunt A & have tried a Kontrapunt B. I used to to use a Rohmann for a long time as my first choice cartridge. I now use a Ortofon Jubilee. I also had a MC25FL & have used Ortofon MC30/ MC30super/MC30 supreme. I have owned mainly Ortofons over the years & have found them to be very good. They are all very good trackers. The Jubilee is one of the best.

The differences become more apparent the better the arm & turntable. This is even with a phono stage like a EAR 834.

The Rohmann v the Kontrapunt B is an interesting battle. I didn't get to compare them both. I found the Rohmann very natural sounding with very good detail. I found it enjoyable when I had it in my Rock reference. I do get the feeling that the Kontrapunt B was up front with the dynamics but not with ultimate delicacy & refinement of the Rohmann. The Jubilee has both builds on the both cartridges.

Data,

The MC7500 is one of the cartridges that the Rohmann was based around & should build on it's strengths. The Jubilee is what the Kontrapunt range is based around. They are poor man's Jubilees. The MC7500 came in a fancy old style 'Doctors Case'. I don't think it's made any more. The Denon is excellent value for money.

You may hear a difference in your NAD Turnatble but have you tried any other turntables? You have tried a number of amps & speakers but what decks & arms have you had?

Hi muffinman,

I have seen that site before. The thing anyone can have opinions on turntables. I have, at some stage, heard most of those on offer. I have enjoyed some more than others. But I have only compared some side by side so listening was done in many different enviroments. I have opinions on the ones I have heard. People will have different opinions. My advice would be to get the best turntable you can afford. You do need to have a good listen in your system.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Apr 16, 2004
  15. Donut

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Cheeky !

:D

bottleneck, Apr 16, 2004
Ask a Question