Cartridge recommendation?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Emmodd, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Emmodd

Emmodd

i'm in the process of buying a Technics SL1200 mk11 for hi-fi use. The one i'm after has been previously used by a bedroom DJ and so doesn't have a suitable cartridge. This will be my first turntable so i've very limited knowledge. I'm on a bit of a limited budget and don't really want to spend more than £50 until i've a bit more experience with set up etc. Any recommendations (new or used) would be however appreciated.

thanks.

Emmodd, Jul 13, 2007
  2. Emmodd

Couperin

For £50 or less - all MM (moving magnet) types...

Audio Technica AT-110, £28
    Goldring Elektra, £30
    Grado Prestige Black, £39 - £45
    Ortofon OM10, £36 - £40
    Rega Bias, £49 (may need spacers to fit)
    Ortofon 510 Mk II, £50
    Grado Prestige Green, £50 - £60

It depends what type of music you like, but the Ortofon OM10 is a safe choice. It's supplied with some turntables such as the cheaper Clearaudio models.

Have a look on Ebay for cheaper offers on these.

I wouldn't be looking for a used model in the sub-£50 range unless you can be sure that it's in top condition and had very little use. If you end up by having to replace the stylus, it's likely to cost almost as much as a new cartridge.

Couperin, Jul 13, 2007
  3. Emmodd

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Covers most of the likely candidates. The only issue may be is that the arm is no lightweight (12g effective mass) and most of these are pretty compliant (DJ carts tend to be a bit stiffer).

If you want to avoid any resonance problems, I'd say the AT110E or the OMs are probably the best bet here, The AT as it has a stiffer suspension than the rest here and is pretty good for the money and the OMs will work well because they are so lightweight and do have the advantage that they can be upgraded at the next stylus purchase. They have the disadvantage that other than the OM5e they have recently been officially discontinued :rolleyes: as has the 500 series though I've been told there are no plans to discontinue the styluses (that would be silly given that they've sold in the hundreds of thousands of the things)

Uncle Ants, Jul 13, 2007
  4. Emmodd

dudywoxer Regaholic

and if you can stretch a touch, one of hi-fi's best bargains is the Dennon DL110, should find the for 65-70 ish
    ________
    Kids Depakote

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
    dudywoxer, Jul 13, 2007
  5. Emmodd

indeed, and definitely work well with the arm.

Uncle Ants, Jul 13, 2007
  6. Emmodd

Couperin

Uncle Ants wrote:
    I'd forgotten that the arm was so heavy. It's always going to be a limiting factor. Unless the aim is DJ work, I'm not really sure why you'd pick the SL1200.

For far less than a new SL1200, you'd have a range of hifi turntables to choose from, some with cartridge supplied. I'd consider the Pro-Ject Xpression with Ortofon OM10 (£250) and the Goldring GR2 with Goldring 1012GX cartrdige (£240 - or whatever Goldring bring out to replace it).

If price is critical, it might be worth a look at one of the cheaper Pro-Ject (Debut III, £120) or Goldring (GR1.2, £140) turntables which are so well regarded. I think that both come with a decent cartridge.

Couperin, Jul 13, 2007
  7. Emmodd

I rather like 'em myself it isn't all that limiting really except it limits choice at the lower end of the price range, where high compliance is the rule, but like I say the AT and the OMs should work ok.

You'll have your work cut out finding a new Goldring deck anywhere its quite some time since they stopped doing them. The guys at Armour keep telling me a replacement is planned but nothing has surfaced as yet. I don't think they see it as a big priority.

Uncle Ants, Jul 13, 2007
  8. Emmodd

Emmodd

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help and cmoments. I realise that i might be limited at the lower end but I only intend to buy a cheap cartridge as a put on. I will be looking to upgrade in the not too distant future.

Emmodd, Jul 13, 2007
  9. Emmodd

If its your first fit and you are nervous of it, then its not a bad idea. I'd go for the AT if its as much a case of wanting a practice as well as something which'll sound reasonable. Its cheap so if you duff it, you won't feel too bad. It'll work with the arm. The stylus is detachable which makes fitting a lot less nerve racking (unlike the Denon for example, although the guard helps there as well). And its sounds very reasonable. Your detachable headshell will make cartridge fitting a bit easier anyway.

When upgrade time comes along a better headshell than stock might be a good investment. I know there are some guys over on Pink Fish who have been messing with 1210s and rate the Sumiko headshell highly, or if you ever see one on ebay ADC used to do some really nice magnesium headshells.

Uncle Ants, Jul 13, 2007
  10. Emmodd

Emmodd

Again, thank you.

I don't think it has a headshell so might look at one of those rather than the Technics in the first place. Do they usually come wired?

Emmodd, Jul 13, 2007
  11. Emmodd

Yes I think so. Ask on the thread here:

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25255&page=5

They had to order Stateside but $40 seems reasonable if the quality is good.

There seems to be a little 1210 fanclub developing over there :)

Uncle Ants, Jul 13, 2007
  12. Emmodd

Emmodd

tempted by the denon and notice that whilst an MC cartidge, it has a high output. Does this mean that it would work with an MM only phono stage?

Emmodd, Jul 16, 2007
  13. Emmodd

yes ... unless its one with particularly low gain inwhich case you may have to give it a bit of a crank. High Output, but it'd be fairly low for a typical MM. I have a 160 I use on one of my arms and its mostly fine. I did come across one cheap MM stage you had to crank the volume for though.

Uncle Ants, Jul 16, 2007
Ask a Question