cartridge recommendations please (mm)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Listener666, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Listener666

Listener666

Just having a hifi shuffle and i need a mm cartridge. Its for a haddcock arm on a Garrard slatedeck 301, KEF REF 201's and a yamaha digital pwr amp....(mmm nice).

I will use the phono input on my Nuvista pre (untried.....so may buy a phono stage later.......or get my arse into repairing my DIY kit stage:MILD:)

Would have pushed the boat out to a 2M bronze but reviews say they are harsh with old/ not pristine records!

Tried a 1042 before and thought it was a little warm in the bass....liked my nagaoka MP11 Boron, lacked a little "air".......until.......:eek:...oh dear wheres the diamond gone :confused::confused::D

I listen to all sorts of music......not much vocal though.

Would like to spend about £150 - £200 ish.....anyone tried the mm shelter?

Listener666, Nov 12, 2008
  2. Listener666

Graham B

I am running a 2M Blue at the moment and I would say it is sweet sounding cartridge and quite forgiving of well worn records. We all hear things differently, but I like it a lot now that is well run in.

Graham

Graham B, Nov 12, 2008
  3. Listener666

SMEagol Because we wants it...

Ortofon OM40 was very nice, I had mine on an SME3009mk2 on a Transcriptors Reference. I bought the TT as I thought it looked nice when I first got into serious hifi, with not much knowledge!. I read some disappointing reviews of this first turntable, but I still contend it was magic combo. I feel a lot of crit here was from people who hadn't even heard one. Bearing in mind I now listen to a Clearaudio Reference thats saying something!

SMEagol, Nov 12, 2008
  4. Listener666

chrissyman

If you can find a music maker (cartridge man) that is supposed to be a dream match for the hadcock i had one in an sme 310 superb, but i think its a bit over budget unless you can get one 2nd hand.

chrissyman, Nov 13, 2008
  5. Listener666

Yiangos

listener666 a few years ago,this would be a quite easy question but nowdays,everyone jumped on the hyperanalytical way of things and if a component sounds like this,don't expect it to sound forgiving.If i had to pick a nice sounding mm cartridge today , i'd go for a Grado Signature Gold or Silver (exactly the same cartridge,the Gold being a select version of the Silver).

Yiangos, Nov 13, 2008
  6. Listener666

A.N.

what about a high output mc? slots nicely into a mm stage, and the little denon dl160 or the 110 is hard to beat :)

A.N., Nov 13, 2008
  7. Listener666

henley

You can never tell with reviewers. The 2M bronze has a slightly broader profile to the 2M black which has been exceptionally well reviewed and, as such, should have a sightly more coloured (warmer) sound which should help older records.

henley, Nov 13, 2008
  8. Listener666

Listener666

thanks

sorry been away for a while ....thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Any other suggestions ?:)

Listener666, Nov 21, 2008
Ask a Question