cartridge suggestions please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dudywoxer, Jul 1, 2010.

1. dudywoxer

dudywoxer Regaholic

Yes OK, I understand that everything is subjective but getting to hear a choice of carts is not what you could call easy.

I have just changed my deck from a P25 to a P9 and would like suggestions for suitable moderate (?5-600) priced carts to use with it.

It will have to work either with the MM stage built into a Cursa Pre amp, or the Rega phono MC stage, as I will not be able to replace the stage and cart at the same time. I will be using a DL110 in the short term.

I would prefer something Neutral, or warmer sounding, (so not a OC9 or Dorian then)
    ________
    MARIJUANA BUBBLER

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
    dudywoxer, Jul 1, 2010
  2. dudywoxer

RobHolt Moderator

Well I just so happen to have a P9 :)

I've been using an AT33PTG for a couple of years and that makes a good combo - happy to provide you with some links to around 30 high quality needledrops if you wnat to listen.

The only problem is that the 33PTG is officially discontinued but you might still finds stocks. Not much out there touches it for around £300.
    There is a special version of PTG at around £500 but I've never heard it.

I also wouldn't recommend a Lyra on a P9 - been there with an Argo and the combination is too dry and thin.

I can suggest others but none are particularly warm in balance.
    For example, the DV17/3 is excellent and very faithful to the source, not bright but the balance is similar to a good CD player or digital source.

RobHolt, Jul 1, 2010
  3. dudywoxer

dudywoxer Regaholic

dudywoxer, Jul 1, 2010
  4. dudywoxer

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Dudywoxer.

I have been thinking about this a little of late.

Starting over I would take a complete gamble. I'd buy a damaged cartridge (that was once very expensive) - hopefully one with just a worn down diamond..

... then I would send it to one of the cartridge companies for a revamp..

You could be quids in for not too much.

I bet if you put up a thread on here you'd find old Kuzmas, Koetsu's and god knows what.

It seems a very green solution to me too..

like it :)

bottleneck, Jul 1, 2010
  5. dudywoxer

theo

I've heard a few of the new Ortofon range recently, and have enjoyed them greatly. In terms of MM, the Ortofon 2M Black is excellent - (and within your budget). I've bought the Cadenza Blue MC, which is a peach. Great at leading edges (sounds "fast" and detailed). That and the Cadenza Bronze are great cartridges, but probably outsde your budget. The 2M Black has a lot of the MC characteristics though. Heard it on a RB1000 arm (same as yours?).

theo, Jul 7, 2010
  6. dudywoxer

vincula

If you like the Denon, go for a DL 304 or even a DLS1. Personally, I believe a Benz Ace/Glider could be your ticket. Have a look at Zyx carts as well and look for an ex-demo low-hours Transfiguration Axis or NOS Aria.

All the above-mentioned are playing just a hint on the warmer sound of neutral. As a rule of thumb, get yourself a good medium compliance LOMC and be a very happy man.

Enjoy your quest :)!

Regards,

Vincula

vincula, Jul 8, 2010
  7. dudywoxer

benz glider is a lovely cart if you have a good MC stage.

clearaudio virtuoso wood is nice if you only have decent MM

bottleneck, Jul 8, 2010
  8. dudywoxer

mtbguy68

I second the Denon DLS1 and the ZYX cartrdiges. I think you still can get an NOS ZYX RS20 for about $400USD. This is the cartridge I am running at the moment and it was pretty close to the RS100 that I compared it to from a dealer friend which is a 1000 pound cartridge.

My Denon DLS1s has been to expert stylus for a rebuild and it sounds as good as ever so buying a cheap worn expensive cartridge may also be a route.

If you are interested in getting more comments for the DLS1s log into vinyl engine. A member made his available for other members to try in their systems.

Cheers
    Al

mtbguy68, Jul 8, 2010
  9. dudywoxer

I have an Ortofohn Kontrapunkt that could be 're-ripped' (just a worn down diamond).

PM me if you're interested, you could just re-tip it for not much with expert stylus company.

That is about £600 new ish.

bottleneck, Jul 8, 2010
  10. dudywoxer

dudywoxer Regaholic

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have heard the cart and phono stage that I want, but at the price it will have to wait a while. As a stop gap I have bought a Dynavector DV20x, It arrived yesterday, and has had a few alums through it. So far I think it will be a excellent filler, and then spare. It does not have the rising top of of a lot of MC's, and is so far showing itself to be very evenhanded. I'm looking forward to listening to it bed itself in.

It is a decent step up from the denon, although I was surprised at how much better that sounded bolted onto the RB1000, certainly well above its budget station. For now the 110 can stay as the spare.

I just have to save my pennies now, and maybe try for a paper round to speed the process for a apheta and los.
    ________
    Vaporizer wiki

dudywoxer, Jul 8, 2010
  11. dudywoxer

baxtergail

DL110 looks like a good bet. Benz would be great, but watching I am;little be sells Revolver Linn when he returned to full use and cheaper to cover the basket MC may be more difficult option.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2010
    baxtergail, Jul 15, 2010
Ask a Question