Cartridge tracking at lower temperatures

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ADPully, Oct 10, 2007.

1. ADPully

ADPully

I have just moved into a new room with my sound system.
    There is no heating.

At what temperature if any should I be concerned about the cartridge tracking?

In the old days I remember having a lamp over my record deck was recomended - Is this a myth?
    Thanks

Andy

ADPully, Oct 10, 2007
  2. ADPully

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

It is a general belief that a cartridge tracks better at warmer temperatures as the suspension will be more compliant. However, this simple belief does not take into account the relative mass of your arm and its relative match to the compliance of the cartridge; alsoI have never (in over 20 years) found it to make much difference with any of the cartridges I have used. I should add though that I have never lived in an unheated house or room!

I think the temperature of the room makes more difference to the comliance of the roll-surround on the mid bass and bass drivers.

YNMOAN, Oct 10, 2007
  3. ADPully

Bob McC living the life of Riley

No heating! What will you do January to April?

Bob McC, Oct 10, 2007
  4. ADPully

YNMOAN Trade - AudioFlat

Indeed, how come you have no heating? Is it a shed, a squat, the 16th century?

YNMOAN, Oct 10, 2007
  5. ADPully

ADPully

No Its a converted Intergal garage - It will have central heating eventually but thats a lower priority than getting the sound sorted with acoustic conditioning panels.
    thanks for the answers
    Andy

ADPully, Oct 11, 2007
  6. ADPully

SMEagol Because we wants it...

...I like that, sod whether it can support human life lets get the sound sorted! :D

SMEagol, Oct 11, 2007
  7. ADPully

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

As Ynmoan says in theory it could, I don't actually know because like him I've never used mine in a room cold enough to know. Me, I'd be more worried about damp in an unheated garage.

Uncle Ants, Oct 12, 2007
  8. ADPully

ADPully

Its not damp the garage is integral 2 sides are insulated by other heated areas and one by a large shed.

Its just a chilly room just like a flat with no heating
    temp at the moment 15degrees
    may go down to 8degrees

Andy

ADPully, Oct 13, 2007
  9. ADPully

RobHolt Moderator

Much depends on the damping material used in the cartridge suspension as some will be more prone to temperature variation.

It was certainly a problem back in days when I ran a Supex MC and the closely related Linn MCs definitely tracked better after a quick thaw from a spot lamp.

Not sure how my current AT copes but I'll tell you if we have a cold snap :)

RobHolt, Oct 13, 2007
  10. ADPully

ADPully

I had a Linn Sondek perspex cover that warped badly under a Anglepoise trying to heat a cartridge.

I was heating it beacause the Magazines said to do it.
    Now I have no cover or no heating.

I havent noticed a problem yet but its not been that cold

Andy

ADPully, Oct 14, 2007
  11. ADPully

henley

A cartridge suspension system is like a human muscle and will work at its best at an optimum temperature. If the environment is too cold then it becomes stiff and will mot allow the cantilever to move up and down as freely as necessary and similarly, if too hot then it becomes sloppy (gross exageration) and will not track correctly.

Having said that the optimum normally is quite broad and you need not worry in most cases.

The thing you need to be concerned about is constant heating up and cooling down which will cause the early decay of the suspension system.

Try to install some kind of background heating such as a small radiator, this should cure the problem.

henley, Oct 18, 2007
Ask a Question