Cartridges height

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Arlequen, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Arlequen

scott_01

Sorry I was talking total rubbish* about the 24v. My TT is an SP10MKII.

The SP10MKII PS only outputs DC at the above voltages so where does the AC come in to play? Is there AC regeneration in the electronics inside the TT unit itself?

Why do they describe the SL1200 motor as DC when in fact it is ac?
    Yes, I'd fully agree with that. I think from a wow / flutter POV that the external nature of the PS makes no difference. I suppose the point I was trying to make was that decent not to say improved PS are widely accepted as bringing audible benefits.

Good luck with the SP10, mine's in the Obsidian plinth and I'm loath to change it.

*No jokes about the rest of my post(s)

scott_01, Jan 12, 2009
  2. Arlequen

Paul Ranson

Effectively.

There is no such thing as a DC motor when you look at the currents flowing through the coils. The magnetic fields have to move, DC fields don't move. A simple electric motor has a commutator which switches the power to the coils as the motor turns. Each coil is connected up one way, and then the other. The coil sees AC. But you can run it from a battery and no electronics are involved. This, to me, is a DC motor. More volts, more speed. Replace the commutator with electronic switches, possibly in a brushless arrangement and you get the same effect.

The Technics DD motors sort of fit the latter, but the driver arrangement generates sinusoids rather than square waves, and they could be connected to a 3 phase AC supply and rotate in lock step with the AC frequency.

It's worth, IMO, being cynical about aftermarket PSU claims. I think in many cases to get a good benefit very invasive modification is required. Linn LP12s are an exception...

Thanks. Not sure where I'm going with it yet but I think a tangential tone arm will figure in the first iteration.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Jan 12, 2009
  3. Arlequen

Arlequen Vinyl Addict

Yes Paul! .. I need to change arm or to resize the arm board of the TW Acustic Raven One .. to be able to mount a cartridge less than 18.5mm. tall... :(
    I'm discussing this matter with Thomas (TW Acustic owner and designer)

Arlequen, Jan 13, 2009
  4. Arlequen

Markus S Trade

You, an impulse buyer? I don't believe it.

Markus S, Jan 13, 2009
  5. Arlequen

Paul Ranson

I've had a look at most of the cartridges in the house. All the moving coils are about 16mm. That's an AT33PTG, Supex SD900 and a Linn Arkiv. The MMs are all nearer 20mm. Goldring 10-40, Linn K18 and an old A&R C77.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Jan 13, 2009
  6. Arlequen

scott_01

Now I understand, thanks.

scott_01, Jan 13, 2009
Ask a Question