Cd better than vinyl at last

Discussion in 'General Music' started by jimmymcfarrell, May 12, 2004.

1. jimmymcfarrell

jimmymcfarrell Anyone fancy a pint?

Just got a copy of Curved Air's Second Album on CD, and it's the first time my CDP has bettered my turntable on a 1 on 1 comparison. This CD sounds incredible!
    Ive not been able to do 1 on 1 comparisons between CD and vinyl very often, and the turntable was always the winner by a great deal. Ive managed it with some Black Sabbath, the latest Radiohead album, and this Curved Air disk. Im susprised that CD can really sound like this, it is by far the best CD I have ever heard, and certainly the only one for which it can actually be said remastering over the original (vinyl) makes a positive difference.
    Id rcommend this album a) because the music is brilliant and b) because it has made me think there might be life in my CD player yet!

jimmymcfarrell, May 12, 2004
  2. jimmymcfarrell

Mr_Sukebe

Jimmy,

Would I be right in guessing that this is a fairly new release?

My personal opinion is that more recently producers have started making better use of the technical advantages that CD does have over LP, which could well result in your findings.

Before any jumps all over me, my personal opinion is that both LP and CD have their own technical strengths and weaknesses. Newer stuff is starting to make better use of CD strengths, whereas older material (e.g. 70s) is clearly bound to the technical ability of LP and as such sounds better on the format.

Mr_Sukebe, May 12, 2004
  3. jimmymcfarrell

jimmymcfarrell Anyone fancy a pint?

Which is exactly what I have been experiencing, until this!
    If all new remasters are going to sound this good (yes this cd was released quite recently I think) I might have to start buying CDs a bit more often!

jimmymcfarrell, May 12, 2004
Ask a Question