CD cataloguing software

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by michaelab, Sep 8, 2003.

1. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

There was some discussion about various cataloguing software here a while back but I can't find the relevant thread and the suggestions made so, any suggestions?

Must have: CDDB feature (ie read CD details and song titles from the CD, you just need to insert the CD in your PC CD-ROM drive).

If it has support for cover artwork databases (I think they exist) then that would be a big bonus but not essential.

Must be easy and painless enough to use so that I won't end up in a fit of "computer rage" given that I have 500+ CDs to catalog... ;)

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 8, 2003
  2. michaelab

wflem007

Michael

There is Music Manager by Davilex (sorry,don't have web address) and there is Music Collector (sorry again)

wflem007, Sep 8, 2003
  3. michaelab

polaco

polaco, Sep 8, 2003
  4. michaelab

sideshowbob Trisha

Music Collector Pro is the one I'm using. Very good. The new version will do multiple searches of CDDB, the various Amazons, allmusicguide.com, you name it, and downloads artwork if it finds it (front and back covers). Good export options as well. You can now do batch scans - put a CD in, do a quick ID scan on it to add it to the list, repeat 500 times, then do one big CDDB/Amazon/etc scan to download everything. Voila.

-- Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2003
    sideshowbob, Sep 8, 2003
  5. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Thanks guys - will give Music Collector a go. Looks pretty good from the screenshorts on the site.

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 8, 2003
  6. michaelab

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Better still, buy a huge hard drive (or several) and get those CD's archived to the disk, buy a good soundcard (anything from an M-Audio Revolution to a LynxTwo) and have any album in your entire collection only a couple of clicks away :D

PBirkett, Sep 8, 2003
  7. michaelab

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

mp3 format is pants quality though.

rob, Sep 8, 2003
  8. michaelab

penance Arrogant Cock

true
    true

penance, Sep 8, 2003
  9. michaelab

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

are wav files cd quality?

rob, Sep 8, 2003
  10. michaelab

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

It depends on the quality of your sound card but a WAV file is simply the wave form of the sound whith no compression. If its saved at 44.4khz then it will be CD quality, it just depends on the sound card and also how good the DAC is.

Some may say WAV is better than CD because you don't have the problems of the machanics of the transport. MP3 on the otherhand is a different matter I have only heared ones saved at the standard compression rate and they all sound rather dull and flat to me.

edit: the old problem with WAV is that the files took to much space, but now with modern hard drives been made up to 200GB thats not an issue. If you're copying a CD to WAV from your CD-ROM though the quality of the transport of the CD-ROM will be an issue.

amazingtrade, Sep 8, 2003
  11. michaelab

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

i have got a few wav files on my puter and they do sound good.i have to say though i dont go in for digital music much.wouldent mind giving dsd/sacd a listen though.

rob, Sep 8, 2003
  12. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

That's not true AT. Copying a CD to a WAV files on your PC is one case where the "bits are just 1s and 0s" thing really is true. Even the crappiest CD-ROM drive will correctly read every 1 and 0 off the CD and your PC will duly duplicate that string of 1s and 0s in a .WAV file.

As a general rule, jitter and other transport quality issues are only an issue when doing a digital to analog conversion where timing is critical. When doing digital copying, whether CD to WAV, or CD to CD (using a PC burner or a CD recorder) then jitter (and hence transport quality and digital cable used) are not an issue at all.

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 8, 2003
  13. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

I think that's a big generalisation. I'd challenge most people to be able to tell the difference between a CD and a well ripped MP3 file at 320Kbps - especially on the kind of system that's likely to be able to play MP3s.

However, I just want the cataloging thing. Even if I had 200Gb I can't see the point of having all the music stored on my PC.

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 8, 2003
  14. michaelab

soundzandpower BBQ?

soundzandpower, Sep 8, 2003
  15. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Thanks S+P - will give that one a try aswell.
    Mike.

michaelab, Sep 8, 2003
  16. michaelab

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I concur.

In fact I would really like to see many audiophools determine the difference between alt-preset-standard (avg bitrate around 190-200Kbps) and the original, when done with the LAME encoder and Exact Audio Copy. With EAC, it makes PERFECT copies, so the transport is not an issue.

However, who said anything about MP3? I just wanted to see how long it would take for someone to say that. Ah well, your losses...

MPC format is superior to MP3, and compresses better, and with less artifacts/higher quality.

Knowledge that one is playing MP3's or whatever will warp the mind into thinking its crap, blind testing will seperate truth from bull.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2003
    PBirkett, Sep 8, 2003
  17. michaelab

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

mp3 is only some of the information,. true its very hard to tell the difference but its still less information than cd.personally i can tell the difference between cd and mp3 although on a blind test it may be different.mp3 to me sounds a bit bland/dull but then again i prefare records to both anyways.

saying that when i dl from the net i always look for 320kbs. anything below that and anybody should be able to notice the difference.

rob, Sep 8, 2003
  18. michaelab

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I think you might be surprised.

Anyway, I dont use MP3 for my own music, I use MPC. Its good enough for me.

BTW, I'll post your cans tomorrow...

PBirkett, Sep 8, 2003
  19. michaelab

rob SCHMOOOOKIN

cheers paul no worrys m8,
    so whats mpc then? dont think ive ever listened to an mpc.

rob, Sep 8, 2003
  20. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Was well impressed with the trial version of Music Collector so went and bought it almost straight away. It rocks! Thanks for the suggestsions guys.

Michael.

michaelab, Sep 10, 2003
Ask a Question