CD Copy Protection

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Stuart, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Stuart

Stuart

Guys,

Finally completed transfer of my last batch of CDs to HD for the Squeezebox. However, I am now stuck on the final disc: Black Cherry by Goldfrapp. Neither of my PCs will recognise there is a disc in the drive when inserted when using EAC. Windows Explorer comes up with a blank as well. I've tried both ISOBuster (thinks its a blank CD) and Feurio with no joy.

Anyone got any thoughts on how to get around this (short of taking a dig. feed out of a CDP into the computer)?

Thanks,

Stuart.

Stuart, Aug 29, 2005
  2. Stuart

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i had no problems ripping this to my hdd, have tou tried cleaning your drive / the cd? if you've been using it a lot then it might get pretty crapped up.
    other than that you might want to see if a mate has a usb cd / dvd drive and give that a go.
    cheers

julian.

julian2002, Aug 29, 2005
  3. Stuart

ditton happy old soul

Technobear: "I use the internet to sample music so I can decide what the buy. ..
    I am stunned at the commercial stupidity of the music companies who want to stop people sharing music on the net as sharing is traditionally the way we find out what we like. People who hear more music, ultimately buy more music. Yesterday's home tapers are today's hifi enthusiasts with large CD collections. Music industry chiefs must be really dim."

I read a report from the States about realisation, in the US Courts and so also in Board Rooms, that formats are changing and that consumers rightly want to transfer legally-bought content from one platform to another. So, it may be that my collection of cassettes may give me legal title to digital equivalents - of course I still have a few wrinkles: what is the digital equivalent (unlikely to extend to re-mastered 'equivalents'); to track down digital copies online; to obain access. However, I am tempted to post a thread here of my cassette collection and to seek those digital equivalents.

ditton, Aug 29, 2005
  4. Stuart

Phill77

Try a different cd drive if you can, I had similar problems with my old cd writer, but my newer one rips everything fine.

Phill77, Aug 29, 2005
  5. Stuart

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

As a last resort if its copy protection see if you can get to a mac, there is not a lot on the market that is protected for mac so you could import it into itunes then drag the tunes physically to the harddrive part of your pod, get home and drag them from the pod to your itunes.

BTW music companies supporting file sharing will kill music:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08/26/playlouder_msp_interview/

Subscribed sharing, a proportion of your broadband fee goes to music sharing capability. It won't be long beofr music companies concentrate soley on the crazy frog, cheap revenue. If this goes widespread, spending big money on new bands will not happen, all IMO of course.

garyi, Aug 29, 2005
  6. Stuart

kennyk thecrossovernetwork.com

can I ask if you've switched off Auto Insert Notification?

the way to get round some of the CD copy protection is to hold down the Shift key as the disc is inserted. that way the OS doesn't read the data session.

Hope that helps

kennyk, Aug 29, 2005
  7. Stuart

Stuart

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions.

So far tried everything suggested short of a Mac or an external drive. The disc is in v.good condition, the laptop is only a few months old so its drive ought to e in good nick. The Server is old and its drive groans a bit but has worked fine with hundreds of other discs. I may have an old external drive kicking 'round somewhere so I'll see if that helps (assuming it works).

Reckon I'll avoid buying any more EMI CDs from now on (although The Beatles, Let it be... Naked, also an EMI protected disc was pretty easy).

Thanks,

Stuart.

Stuart, Aug 29, 2005
  8. Stuart

JohnD76

Have a look in Add remove programs (if you are using windwos that is) and see if it has installed any crap onto your machine, if it has remove it. A lot of these discs try to install some software or their own player when inserted.

Failing that try copying the disc. I have problems with some copy protected discs playing on my cd player, so I copy them with Nero and the copy plays fine. Oh the irony.........

Do some research on the net though since some discs have bene known to knackered the cd rom/writer drive.....

JohnD76, Aug 29, 2005
  9. Stuart

Stuart

Hi,

Can't see anything odd there. Unfortunately copying the disc isn't an option as none of the software I have to hand recognises that there is a disc in the drive.

Regards,

Stuart.

Stuart, Aug 29, 2005
  10. Stuart

kennyk thecrossovernetwork.com

now's probably a good time to get a handle on Linux...

kennyk, Aug 29, 2005
  11. Stuart

robert_cyrus

the only way i got around ripping black cherry was to use EAC, then make a cd copy from that, then itunes was quite happy to rip the copy to aac, but this time without constant noises all through the songs. still the odd "click" but not enough to bother me.

robert_cyrus, Aug 29, 2005
Ask a Question