CD & DAC Advice

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by DaHood, Mar 28, 2007.

1. DaHood

DaHood

I have a Musical Fidelity A3CD and I'm wondering if there are any improvements to be had by adding a DAC to the equation.

DaHood, Mar 28, 2007
  2. DaHood

Garmt

Lot of the times, the transport is holding the DAC back, so I think a complete new modern player would be a better bet, but I guess others may think differently.

What is the rest of the system?

Garmt, Mar 28, 2007
  3. DaHood

DaHood

The rest of the system is an Exposure 3010 Pre and Power Combo, which I love to bits. Orelle The Swing Loudspeakers rewired with silver cabling which I also love to bits.

I have to say that I do really like the CD player and I don't really wanna change it, that said if the sound can be improved by a DAC then I'd happily go for it...

DaHood, Mar 28, 2007
  4. DaHood

unclepuncle

What sort of budget do you have?

I'd agree with Garmt that a whole new CD player might be a better bet- you should get £250-300 for your A3 to add to the budget.

unclepuncle, Mar 28, 2007
  5. DaHood

DaHood

Thanks guys, do you have any recommendations/preferences for CD players that would suit my Exposure/Orelle set up. I wanted to buy the Exposure 3010 CD player after auditioning it at HiFi Experience in central London but could not justify the £1200 price tag...

DaHood, Mar 28, 2007
  6. DaHood

tuga

Hi, I'm with Garmt on this one. I have recently bought a Shigaraki DAC to replace an old Audio Alchemy DDE. It was a quantum leap and now I am sure I'll have to get myself a new transport to do it justice.
    Are you into HiFi-ish or Musical? If you are looking for an engaging sound, try to listen to Naim, Exposure, Creek or Rega. And if you're bold enough to buy without listenning why not try a Njoe Tjoeb 4000 (much cheaper if you buy the kit)?

http://www.hifi-planet.com/hpah1.htm

tuga, Mar 28, 2007
  7. DaHood

DaHood

Hey thanks. I just read a review on Stereophile for the Njoe Tjoeb 4000 and the reviewer has given it the big thumbs up. Oddly enough he contrasts it to the MF A3CD which I own and he was very complimentary about the MF although he did state that the Njoe was slightly more detailed.

As I write this response I'm currently listening to Randy Crawford and Joe Sample and I have to be 100% truthful when I say that I am captivated by the MF A3's musicality, timing and ability to draw me in.

So for now I think I'll keep my desire to improve upon the sound at bay as I'd be a confused wreck...

Many thanks for all of your input and assistance.

DaHood, Mar 28, 2007
  8. DaHood

tuga

tuga, Mar 28, 2007
  9. DaHood

DaHood

Hey thanks Tuga, I am considering a DAC. I've looked at the Shigaraki and whereas they do get good reviews I do not truly like the design. I do have my eye on a MF A3 24 or even a NOS type DAC but i'm a bit unsure whether the sound will be compromised in some way.

DaHood, Mar 29, 2007
  10. DaHood

mr cat Member of the month

where you based at - if not too far away then maybe I could bring my dac around for you to listen to - personally I wouldnb't opt for the Nos dac - I briefly tried it and sole it on...

mr cat, Mar 29, 2007
  11. DaHood

anubisgrau

NOS sound is not for everyone and one shouldn't buy a NOS product without checking its sound. i know many audiophiles who actually dislike it for a lack of common pseudo high end pyrotechnics

anubisgrau, Mar 29, 2007
  12. DaHood

DaHood

I live in South London......Thanks not too sure where that is in relation to you.

DaHood, Mar 29, 2007
  13. DaHood

DaHood

I hear you. For some reason i'm leaning towards getting a MF A324 at some point. A tad old, but I'm cool with that.

DaHood, Mar 29, 2007
  14. DaHood

mr cat Member of the month

north east england - maybe a bit far for you I think...

mr cat, Mar 29, 2007
  15. DaHood

DaHood

Hmmm yes I do agree.....Thanks anyhow though, greatly appreciate your offer.

DaHood, Mar 29, 2007
  16. DaHood

tuga

About the NOS sound, it definitelly isn't everyone's cuppa... If you like the brightness associated to (most) digital playback and exacerbated detail retieval then the Shigaraki is not for you. As for the looks of the thing, it's so small you can hide it behind the other gear - unless you buy this stuff o look at it ;^)

tuga, Mar 29, 2007
  17. DaHood

DaHood

Being a vinyl geek...Vinyl sound is obiously where my heart is at....But I do want to hear clarity, timing, vocals, instrument separation, bass, mids and highs in the right places and not muddled....Am I asking for too much....?

DaHood, Mar 29, 2007
  18. DaHood

tuga

I think youll have all that with the Shigaraki. The highs are smooth but they're there, and the bass and low midrange is as good as it comes. I'm not really sure it's the best DAC for orchestra though but since I have single driver speakers...
    It's got pace, it's got rythm and the (acoustic) intruments sound juicy...

tuga, Mar 29, 2007
  19. DaHood

DaHood

Thanks Tuga. I'll see how it goes in my quest....

DaHood, Apr 1, 2007
Ask a Question