CD issue

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by cyclonebri1, Jan 21, 2011.

1. cyclonebri1

cyclonebri1

Hi chaps
    Found this site this morning and hope someone can give a little help.

I've had my CD6 for about 4 years I think. I run it with a Naim set up and the result is/was superb.

Now I'm a music lover rather than a hifi nut, so when things are fine I leave well alone, however;

2 years ago the hicap died, dead on/off switch. Fixed and upgraded at Avondale, (I'm only 15mins from Les)

2 weeks ago the mute switch on the Nac32-5 broke so I obtained similar one from RS and off the Avondale. Repair and upgrade/service with oustanding results.

Now I was just considering if the nap250 or the cd player should be considered for service upgrade when over a 2 day period the CD6 started to display "no disc" on the 1st cd, and now refuses to read any disc.

So the choice is made for me, it's the cd player 1st.

OK, I've read the reviews and my mind is firmly made up so far that a CD8SE would be my best option(unless someone sugests differently). Looking at the Cyrus site they list upgrading a CD6 to CD8SE as an option. I haven't contacted them yet but would like to know anyones view on there update service. One particular question obviously is that the loading system is slot against tray on my unit, does the whole font panel and loading system get replaced?? If so the issue of a dead laser should not be an issue??

Sorry for the ramble but any advice would help me greatly.

Nice site to find by the way

Copied from a post I put on the unofficial cyrus forum this morning.

Any further comments guys??

cyclonebri1, Jan 21, 2011
  2. cyclonebri1

Jimbo

Seeing as you know about Avondale have you heard his ACD3 player. Pricey but nice.

Jimbo, Jan 21, 2011
  3. cyclonebri1

felix part-time Horta

Slot-based loaders have all the mech based behind the front panel. There are sensors which 'see' the disc, and pull it in. This is separate from 'reading' the CD and correctly reporting (ie it can take-in a disc, but not read it - loader mech works OK, But the real CCD reader mech is faulty - description follows)

Just because the CD6 says 'no disc', doesn't by any means mean it is kaput. It might just be dust/grub on the laser mech, or a clamping problem. If it were mine, I'd remove the lid and closely observe what happens on disc insert, try cleaning the laser (very gently!) with a cotton-bud dipped in disilled water or alcohol, and go from there.

The generic CD loading sequennce is this:
    - Pull-in CD/tray to a stop.
    - Laser attempts focus.(bobs up and down if you can see teh mech with no Cd inserted)
    - If focus found, disc spins-up to "500rpm.
    - Read table of contents. Display updates and disc stops.

This can tell you a lot about what's going on. If the disc seems to load OK, pause, spins for a bit, then the laser is mostly OK - it basically works, but may be failing to find focus. That might be due to dust on the objective lens, or other problems (sticky CD spindle motor; sticky laser sled guides; dust on the len; turntable wrong height, where the puck is a push-fit on the spindle motor -most mechs!).

Most of these can be sorted by a q-tip dipped in meths... if not, try this and let us knwo what happens. HTH.

felix, Jan 21, 2011
  4. cyclonebri1

cyclonebri1

Thanks fella,
    I did order a CD lens cleaning disc when this 1st started, not here yet as only a couple of days ago. I'll try that 1st then go for your approach ;)

I am going to upgrade so want this working to help fund it.

cyclonebri1, Jan 22, 2011
  5. cyclonebri1

cyclonebri1

Ok, cleaning disc arrived today. The cd read that ok and now plays about 50% of discs, probably a "deep"clean reqd?. I'll break out meths:eek:

6. cyclonebri1

Tenson Moderator

Get the CD6 going again. Changing CD players these days makes a very tiny difference indeed, since the technology has pretty much matured.

Tenson, Jan 22, 2011
  7. cyclonebri1

cyclonebri1

Plumbhead, I used to breed those :MILD:

8. cyclonebri1

cyclonebri1

Player ripped apart and fully cleaned, and back together, which is a suprise:MILD:

Still the same, only read 1/2 the cds.
    I will replace but want to fix to gain a few quid back, any contacts for repairs in Derbs area, plus I am going to contact Les at Avondale tommorrow, ;)

cyclonebri1, Jan 23, 2011
  9. cyclonebri1

Jimbo

Jimbo, Jan 24, 2011
Ask a Question