CD player £1k

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tim F, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Tim F

Tim F

Hi all,

I keep spending on amps and speakers and all manor of other stuff... was wondering how good cd players are now compared with my Lexicon DC2 and Tosh 900E. I believe as a transport this is pretty good but if I remove the DC2 I'll loose my Dac and pre.

I'm seriously tempted with getting a high end dedicated CD player and probably a pre too, the question is how much better is that going to be. How much more will I have to spend (second hand) to beat what I've got?

Cheers, Tim

Tim F, Dec 29, 2008
  2. Tim F

nando nando

teav dv60, or mf a1 cd pro,
    just a sujestion,
    nando.

nando, Dec 29, 2008
  3. Tim F

FrankDeckard

iPod Classic (lossless only) into a Wadia 170 itransport and into your existing DAC. Will sound great.

FrankDeckard, Dec 29, 2008
  4. Tim F

RSC

FWIW, I've just bought an SD900, which I've run as a CD player (and DVD-A) through it's analogue outputs only. It sounds perfectly respectable in my system.

I'd try your Tosh through a line input on your existing pre to find out whether it would be acceptable on it's own as a CD player, then you'll have a better idea of how to allocate your resources.

RSC, Dec 30, 2008
  5. Tim F

raynor73

Hi Tim

for what it's worth: I sold my Chord Blu / DAC64.2 when I heard a Lavry DA10. It only gave a little up for the Chord, especially good considering the price difference.

The Toshiba 900e that I bought recently off Wigwam as a Transport when playing as a source only sounds a shade behind the Lavry. This is a very good CDP for a DVD.

Best
    James

raynor73, Dec 31, 2008
  6. Tim F

Tim F

Thanks v much for the info. I'll take a look. I am hearing very good things about the transport for a few sources. I bought it to use with a projector.

RSC, I'll give that a go too. I can run the Audion's direct from it, although I needed a pre for my record deck too.

Tim F, Jan 3, 2009
Ask a Question