CD player experiences

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Freejon, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Freejon

Freejon

My Arcam 7SE CD player is on its last legs - sometimes refuses to play, so looking at S/H upgrade.
    Considering Arcam CD73 or 82, Cambridge 640C, NAD C542. Possibly Rotel RCD-02.
    I play through a Radford Valve amp, so don't have to worry about it being too "digital", but I don't need power-bass and I don't like aggressive treble.
    Also interested in reliability histories!.

Does anyone have experience to share on these players (or others they think I should look at in similar price-bracket)

Thanks,
    Jon

Freejon, Jan 28, 2006
  2. Freejon

zanash

the cd 73 is overated .....IMO the nad is fairly inoffensive people speak well of the 640.

zanash, Jan 28, 2006
  3. Freejon

AlexTaylor

Second hand creek CD50 mk 2 would be splendid.

AlexTaylor, Jan 28, 2006
  4. Freejon

hifikrazy

Although all fine players none of those is a significant upgrade to the 7SE. In all likelihood all your 7SE needs is a new laser (well transport unit). These arent too expensive and not too difficult to fit (although best left to someone who knows how). I believe its a Sony mech.

Having replaced this and got it fully working again there just so happens to be an Arcam Alpha 9 dac board (ring dac) on ebay that could be fitted in to your player to take it to 9 status. The cost of all this even if you pay someone to do it is likely to be cheaper than the options you've listed and bound to be a much better sounding cd player. Just a suggestion :)

EDIT: Really didnt like the 640c myself, the C542 was better to my ears.

As for reliability, most modern players (without spending mega bucks) do not utilise mechs that are that reliable. The newer ones seem a little better but the ones from the late mid 90s to early 00s (like the CDM12.x) are less reliable in general than earlier swing arm mechs like the CDM4.

hifikrazy, Jan 28, 2006
  5. Freejon

technobear Ursine Audiophile

It may just need a tiny smear of oil or grease in the right place.

technobear, Jan 29, 2006
  6. Freejon

Freejon

Thanks for suggestions. I liked the DAC one, but got out bid. Went close but hought £149 was a lot to pay. Did I misjudge the value? I could upgrade to a new CD82 board for about £220.

So I am still interested in any further views.

THanks,
    Jon

Freejon, Jan 29, 2006
  7. Freejon

chezi

I'll sell you a CD82T in black for £250 ,if your interested pm or email me.
    chezi.

chezi, Feb 4, 2006
Ask a Question