CD player kaput

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by la toilette, Mar 19, 2007.

1. la toilette

la toilette Downright stupid

My CD player failed to power up when I turned it on this evening :mad: .

Fuse in the plug OK, internal fuse OK. Dead as a dodo.

Any ideas before I either 1.) Cry 2.) Get angry and hurl it at the wall (don't laugh, I've done it before, I have a childish temper :eek: ) or 3.) Take it to a repair shop or send it back to Arcam and end up paying more to repair it than it's actually worth.....

Player is an Arcam Alpha 8se. Worked fine yesterday, but I have a niggling suspicion that the power at the socket may have been switched off then on again whilst the player was turned on.

la toilette, Mar 19, 2007
  2. la toilette

zygote23

If something as simple as flicking the power switch off at the wall causes this to die I'd be furious. I'm forever pulling the plug on the pc/hifi/tv/whatever with no ill effects.

zygote23, Mar 19, 2007
  3. la toilette

stevehi-fi stevehi-fi

perhaps these may help:

www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=119 - 93k - 18 Mar 2007 -

stevehi-fi, Mar 19, 2007
  4. la toilette

Yeah, well I'm not sure if this would have any effect, but can't think of anything else that may have had an adverse effect on it :( .

Cheers, I'll have a dig through to see if there's anything similar mentioned....

la toilette, Mar 19, 2007
  5. la toilette

zanash

the 8se are an ok machine .....but if its going to cost more than £100 for a repair which maybe 40% of its value ....its a close call as to the worth of it ....then a gain it may be a simple fault in the psu or a transformer failure ....

Arcam have a good rep for service so should give you a fair bill for the work done .... don't forget to factor in carriage cost too this may push the worth calculation past the point of no return and the £200 ish better put to a new machine ?

zanash, Mar 20, 2007
  6. la toilette

Yeah I think you're about spot on there Zanash. I paid £160 off ebay for this one year ago, to replace an Alpha 6 that also gave up the ghost. I do quite like it actually but yes I think that £100 would be my limit for repair.

I'll probably have another dig around inside tonight to see if I can spot any obvious faults, but I don't hold out much hope tbh. I have a friend in Notts who might be interested in having a crack at fixing it if I can't, or I might just keep hold of it and hope to pick up another 8se off ebay with a different fault so that I could make one good one!

BTW, anyone got any suggestions for 2nd hand players around the £150-200 mark, just in case? I always liked the look of the Teac VRDS machines but have never heard one, I'm sure I've seen a couple (20's?) go for around £200 in the past.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2007
    la toilette, Mar 20, 2007
  7. la toilette

DavidF

DavidF, Mar 20, 2007
  8. la toilette

zanash

Ok I've an AA5 waiting to go under the knife ....possibly looking for a new owner ...

The AA5's ....les's and others including my take on the mods sound very good ....thats unbelievably good at the price

DaveF's AA5z gave a cdx psx combo a very close run ...the cdx had a gnats more bass ...but the AA5z was sweeter at the top not bad for a unit that cost less than a good meal for two.

don't get an AA5 in standard guise as they sound dull dull dull flat and more dull ....I had one for a couple of weeks a few years back and sold it not knowing what I know now. unless of course your going to mod it .

zanash, Mar 20, 2007
  9. la toilette

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

i thought pete's A5 mods made for a very competant player, surely the match for anything under £500 from anyone current.

sq225917, Mar 20, 2007
  10. la toilette

zanash

I've since done the rest of the mother board ..rather than just the dac board as you heard it !

zanash, Mar 21, 2007
  11. la toilette

All sounds very interesting, definitely worth considering if there's potentially going to be one available. Zanash, I'll pm you.

la toilette, Mar 21, 2007
  12. la toilette

DavidF

I would certainly suggest an audition, which I feel sure pete will certainly accomodate you with.

Then let your ears decide.........:)

DavidF, Mar 21, 2007
Ask a Question