cd player trouble...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by JackOTrades, May 2, 2006.

1. JackOTrades

JackOTrades

hello everyone,

i have a serious problem... :(
    for no apparent reason (i can't think of anything i have done differently in the past few weeks!) my cd player is not working properly anymore. :(

last saturday i put a cd on, started hearing and all of a sudden there is a LOT of distortion on the high frequencies... it seems to get worse over time but i am not sure if it is me or if it does get worse.

i am using RCAs to connect it to the amplifier, as I have always done... nothing moved, nothing changed, and all of a sudden any high frequencies sound distorted... :mad:

I have tried everything: swapping inputs on the amp, to make sure it wasn't the amp, swapping interconnects, even left it resting powered off (unplugged from the wall) in case it was overheating... nothing worked. Different power sockets also didn't make any difference. Trying the same cd on my cheaper, older cd player, works a lot better...

please, any ideas on what could be the issue?
    is this something that happens to cd players?! never had it happen to me before!! :(

thanks for your ideas and any help!
    Jack

JackOTrades, May 2, 2006
  2. JackOTrades

JohnT

Have you tried a laser lens cleaning disk? I find mine needs cleaning regularly, though exhibits loss of HF and increased susceptibility to acoustic feedback, rather than HF distortion.
    At least it's relatively cheap to try if you haven't already got one.

HTH
    John

JohnT, May 2, 2006
  3. JackOTrades

JackOTrades

Thanks John, no I didn't think it would be that, but it is worth giving it a go! I will see if I can get a lens cleaner and do it.

Thanks! Any other ideas, guys? Please?

Cheers,
    Jack

JackOTrades, May 2, 2006
  4. JackOTrades

dean.l

I would take the top off, it could be a leaky cap, is it on both channels? how old is the player ? (is it under warranty)
    check for toothpaste type substance on the caps near the transformer, and look for burnt resistors etc also try connecting the player direct to the amp if you have a preamp incase thats the problem, just make sure you play a quiet cd :)
    also check the wires in the plug incase they have come loose but this would probably affect the bass more
    if it an old player it could be an op amp gone? which is a good excuse for some burr browns :)

I normally just mess with stuff till it works :D

ps I would clean the laser by taking the lid off it works better, I normally use a camera lens cloth and solution or alcohol.

pps just in case, look but don't touch, you will get a nasty zap if you are not careful, discharge the caps. (search this forum)

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2006
    dean.l, May 2, 2006
  5. JackOTrades

JackOTrades

hi dean,

the cd player has passed its warranty, it's a 2003 MF A3.2.
    there is no pre-amp, it's an integrated.

i believe the distortion is happening on both channels, will check again tonight when home.

now i have no clue about the insides of a cd player or what is what and where, so i am a bit worried about opening it up. i will certainly not touch anything, but i am happy to have a look and see if i can find any toothpaste like fluid lying about.

the cleaning of the lens, is this a difficult thing to do? would it cause HF distortion on its own?

cheers guys!
    jack

ps: Mods can you please move this thread to the hifi forum? I posted it on this forum by mistake... thanks and sorry :(

JackOTrades, May 3, 2006
  6. JackOTrades

dean.l

if I were you i'd get in touch with mf they might even fix it for nowt, stranger things have happened.

the players I butcher:) are normally a few years old and are picked up for under £50 normally and I usually buy a couple to mess about with and get spares from.

don't mess with the player till you have spoke to mf unless you don't mind killing it.:)

dean.l, May 3, 2006
  7. JackOTrades

zanash

I'll second that !

zanash, May 3, 2006
  8. JackOTrades

JackOTrades

thanks guys, i guess that is good advice, i was just hoping there was a quick fix... i'll call them.

cheers!
    jack

JackOTrades, May 3, 2006
  9. JackOTrades

JackOTrades

ok here's some news on the cd player front: the distortion is very clearly on both channels.

here is the interesting part: i had the player switched off (power off but still plugged in to the mains) for about two days or so. yesterday i switched it on, played a cd and NO DISTORTION!!!

left it powered up all night and this morning the distortion was back...

any ideas on what may cause this behaviour?

thanks guys!
    jack

JackOTrades, May 4, 2006
  10. JackOTrades

dean.l

it could be anything but my money is on the power supply, you can't really tell without having a mess about with it, the chances are it is something cheap but hard to sort out.:)
    did you try speaking to mf ?

dean.l, May 4, 2006
  11. JackOTrades

sktn77a

Sounds like an electrical problem that you probably won't be able to fix yourself. Check with MF. Reapirs will likel;y be expensive, but what's the option? If you're very lucky, they may cover the repair aor offer you a new player! Think positive:) but be prepared for the worst:(

Keith

sktn77a, May 5, 2006
  12. JackOTrades

AudioGuru

Give it a good clean every 6-12 months. I've had my Pioneer since 1991 and it's still playing because it gets looked after!!

AudioGuru, May 12, 2006
  13. JackOTrades

Joe

I've had my Arcam Alpha just as long. It gets a wipe-over with a duster every other year and it's still going strong!

Joe, May 12, 2006
  14. JackOTrades

AudioGuru

Does yours have digital out??

Mine is optical and apparently they were very rare on players back then.

AudioGuru, May 12, 2006
  15. JackOTrades

taz

Try phoning MF in the past I have found them really good on customer service and at the end of the day a phone call is your cheapest option

taz, May 12, 2006
  16. JackOTrades

Joe

It has digital out, but not optical.

Joe, May 12, 2006
  17. JackOTrades

JackOTrades

I dust mine regularly too, probably every 3 months or so (the outside grilles, I dont open it!). Should not be the problem!

It has a digital out, not optical.

Thanks guys!
    Jack

JackOTrades, May 12, 2006
  18. JackOTrades

PJ Smith

I'm a new member and a bit late getting in on this thread, but I had the same problem with a fairly new Classe. At a friends suggestion I ran a Denon system demagnitiser disc which cleared the problem. It has recurred a few times but on every occassion this has been a sovereign remedy

PJ Smith, May 23, 2006
  19. JackOTrades

sktn77a

Given that a CD player should not do this at all, it points to a fault vs a gradual change or accumulation of dirt/magnetism. I personally NEVER recommend cleaning discs of any type as they can do more damage knocking the laser out of alignment as they do good cleaning it. I'm also a sceptic of the need to "demag" an optical device. A bit too PWB for me :rolleyes:

Keith

sktn77a, May 27, 2006
Ask a Question