CD Player?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by sdb123, May 23, 2004.

1. sdb123

sdb123

Hello all,

I am looking for your suggestions on the following:

What CD Player to buy (up to £1200) - don't mind buying s/h. I have previously experienced the following; Marantz, Roksan, M.F to name but a few.

I know it's a pretty open question, however I do value the advice/opinions that I read on this forum.

Cheers

Steve

sdb123, May 23, 2004
  2. sdb123

technobear Ursine Audiophile

You can add the Arcam CD93T and FMJ CD33T. Good all-rounders. Smooth. Dynamic. Detailed. I would also consider the NAD S500i and Meridian G07.

technobear, May 23, 2004
  3. sdb123

full monty

I'm overjoyed with my Arcam CD33t and can't recommend enough!! Incredible silky detail. :)

full monty, May 23, 2004
  4. sdb123

Lt Cdr Data om

naim, or I am seriously happy with my marantz ki sig, it has withstood many an assault by expensive ones.

Lt Cdr Data, May 23, 2004
  5. sdb123

seoulman

Hi Steve

I was recently in the same position as yourself. I was looking for a player to replace my cd92. Due to my location choice can be a bit limited for trials and I avoid not trialing if possible.

I had 3 players over the course of the week for home trials. I have to say that none of the players were bad that I tested just different. My opinions were as follows: (Sorry for the lack of jargon I am not up on the lingo)

MF 3.2 - nice looking player. The sound was definatly nicely detailed but seemed distant as if the sound was behind my speakers. Very relaxing to listen to I just felt something was missing.

Meridian G07 - Amazing looking player. Great levels of detail but still didn't seem to intrest me enough in the music.

Copland CDA 822 - Probably the ugliest cd player of the group. The sound is very open and it makes you want to listen. There seems to be more space around the instruments and a more realistic feel to the music.

I am now the proud owner of the copland and havn't looked back. The amp and speaker upgrades will have to wait as I booked a holiday on the beach with the budget.

regards
    Seoul

seoulman, May 24, 2004
  6. sdb123

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Is the blanket you have to throw over it detrimental to the sound quality?

7_V, May 24, 2004
  7. sdb123

seoulman

Yep 7 v but all I do is get the girlfriend to not cut the eye holes in the paper bag she makes me wear.

I would not say it is ugly ugly but out of those 3 it was definatly the one hit with the ugly stick. Also it is hardly fitted on my stand being a lot larger than the cd92.

regards
    seoul

seoulman, May 24, 2004
  8. sdb123

PumaMan

The earlier Meridian 507 is still around and worth a try.

I like it.:)

PumaMan, May 24, 2004
  9. sdb123

AndrewR

For under £1200 try a Linn Genki, which beats a Naim CDX in all the critical areas.

More tuneful and more cohesive timing.

Andrew

AndrewR, May 24, 2004
  10. sdb123

sdb123

Well then...thanks for all the replies so far - lots to think about!

I'm interested in finding out more on the following:

Copland CDA 822
    Linn Genki - one on e-Bay now ( what's a reasonable 2nd hand price?)

Has anyone had any experience of the Rega Jupiter (2000)? The only reason for asking is that I have found a 2nd hand one for £575 and have read some interesting things about it.

Then I'll have more money for music!

Thanks again,

Steve

sdb123, May 24, 2004
  11. sdb123

sideshowbob Trisha

The Jupiter's a nice player, if you like top loaders. £575 isn't a bad price either.

I use a Sonneteer Byron (£900). I like it a lot. Not lush and oh-so smooth like a lot of players at the £1K price point, just very well-balanced:

http://www.sonneteer.co.uk/

-- Ian

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2004
    sideshowbob, May 24, 2004
  12. sdb123

sdb123

Thanks for that Ian,

How long have you had the Sonneteer for? How did you hear about it?

I've just looked at the website, the CD player looks pretty well made - I note it has separate power transformers as well.

Cheers

Steve

sdb123, May 24, 2004
  13. sdb123

sideshowbob Trisha

sideshowbob, May 24, 2004
  14. sdb123

Graham C

Audition a Linn Genki [I did 4? yrs ago]. It was a 'sunny day' CD player that did lots of things nicely. But the Densen I bought had more punch and weight. Nowadays, there are lots of CDP around this level. If Densen do one still at this price, try it [esp. if they do a remote included - the B400 doesn't].

Graham C, May 24, 2004
  15. sdb123

Gustavo

Definitely, I would save a little bit more and go for the Audionet Art V2 (around 2000 pound, at least here), by far the best CD player I ever heard. Breathtaking.

I had the possibility to compare this player with others, even the Mark Levinson N°39, Linn Ikemi and Sonic Frontiers transport and DAC simply can't compete.

Before my test I was looking for the NAD S500i, but the extra expense for the audionet well worth the effort.

I'm still saving for it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2004
    Gustavo, May 25, 2004
  16. sdb123

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

The Rega Jupiter IS nice - but it still has a noisy swishing mech when discs are spinning (not AS bad as my old Planet, but still enough that it stopped me buying it!).

The Naim CD5 was slightly better in the timing, but the Jupiter has slightly better soundstaging. I went for the Naim one, but the Jupiter at £575 is a no brainer IMHO!

domfjbrown, May 25, 2004
  17. sdb123

Tom

No-one has yet mentioned the Cyrus CD8, either with or without a PSX-R, depending on the preference of your wallet. Worth considering in this price range.

Tom, May 25, 2004
  18. sdb123

sdb123

Once again, thanks for the numerous replies...

I've been scouting round then internet, looking at various bits and bobs...it only helps add to the confusion!

I'm still v.interested in the Rega Jupiter (£575), Linn Genki (currently around £510 on e-Bay) however, I'm now considering going down the transport/dac route.

I'm a bit unsure of this territory though, reading numerous threads on this site has helped in some respects though. I appreciate going for this option could push the price higher than my original estimation (£1200) - what, in your opinion, are good quality dacs & transports?

Thanks as always,

Steve

sdb123, May 26, 2004
Ask a Question