CD problem

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by T-bone Sanchez, Feb 22, 2005.

1. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but I need abit of advice.

Ive got a marantz 6000KI which started to show an error message bout a year ago. I took it to a dealer who said it was the transport, it'll cost £150 to mend because a trained marantz techie will need to work on it, the transport needs to be calibrated on a gyrozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Anyway, I turned them down (at which point they asked for me to collect it as it costs them to through it away, the cheeky.......). I bought a transport for £18 and fitted it in 30 minutes, no probs.

Anyway, its started again, I cant believe that 2 transports could go in such a short time so I started to fiddle. I discovered the strangest thing, when I took the front of the cd drawer off and tried it, it works a treat. Ive studied and studied what could be making the difference. It seems that when I put the front on its stoping the magnetic puck picking up the transport, but Im struggling to see any difference with the naked eye, it most be fractions we're talking about. Question is, how do I solve it, it looks shite without the front on. Also everything is bone dry, it doesnt look like its seen any lubricant of any sort, is this normal for this machine???

:SLEEP:

Thanks for sticking with it!

T-bone Sanchez, Feb 22, 2005
  2. T-bone Sanchez

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

What you need is ... a record player, arf ;)

Not much help I'm sure, but if you took her back to a repair shop knowing what you know now, maybe they might be able to fix without such a hefty bill. Mebbe. Does the drawer front just screw on? Some spacers of some sort?

Mind you, you must have had it more than two years, you're supposed to get a new one arntcha :rolleyes:

Uncle Ants, Feb 22, 2005
  3. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

Your right I do need a record player :D

Sadly its been an awful start to the year for my company so I cant afford to do anything :(

The front is simply held on with plastic lugs, bout as basic as can be. Its a bit of a bugger really.

4. T-bone Sanchez

felix part-time Horta

The transport mech is usually fitted to the player case via slotted screw-holes. It sounds as though the mech is located such that with the drawer front on, the drawer cannot be driven fully 'home' to engage the disc clamp properly.

So - take the top off the player and try loosening the mech retaining screws, gently nudging the whole mech towards the front of the player and trying it again. Hopefully you can adjust it until the thing plays correctly with the drawer front fitted.

felix, Feb 22, 2005
  5. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

Ive had the transport out a couple of times and there seems to be no room for adjusting the screws, saying that I think that as we're talking fraction it could well be the cause, it makes sense and Id never thought of that. I'll have a good look tonight. Thanks.

6. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

Felix - take a bow, I got about 2mm of movement from one side and it did the trick. Sorted, many thanks. :D

T-bone Sanchez, Feb 23, 2005
Ask a Question