CD Transport for ~£350

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Will, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Will

Will The Lucky One

Following the debacle with my TEAC VRDS7, I'll soon be on the search for a new cd transport (again) to couple with my modded M-Audio superdac, with a budget this time of up to £350 (or maybe a little more if I wait longer).

I have looked around and second hand for £350 the 'good' choices seem to be a newer TEAC, such as the VRDS-10/T-1 or similar, or players such as the Marantz CD-10/16 or maybe a 17.

However a couple of other options appeal, one being the Inca/Jungson Katana cd player, which can be imported brand new from HK and ebay for £220 plus postage and VAT/import duty, which should come in under £400...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3272&item=3850641654&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Seems excellent at the price and for a transport I expect it'd be pretty good, but of course it is a bit of a risk, and warranty support non existent...no different from s/h really. I was also wondering if anyone here hasbought from that seller on ebay?

Another option would be a universal player, something from Pioneer or the Denon DVD-2900 or 2910 would be nice but I expect the latter 2 are somewhat out of my budget, though I could look at importing one from Hong Kong through that person on ebay.

A universal players SACD/DVD-A abilities do not immediately appeal to me, but being able to play back DVDs would be nice as I could use the DVI output on the 2910 to use my TFT monitor for DVD playback - not ideal I know but I don't have a television at university and it'd be nice to watch DVDs without needing the PC whirring away.

The cheap 'n cheerful option is the new Denon DVD1910 for £200 or so, DVI output which would facillate DVD playback, but I have no idea how it'd perform as a cd transport (probably not that well, I plan to pay someone to fit some trichord bits into whatever I get, but I don't know, polishing a turd and all that?).

Just wondering where your money would go in a similar situation, and whether anyone has any experience with the players mentioned here when used as a cd transport? Erring towards the imported Inca Katana at the moment but I'd like to hear your thoughts too.

:)

Will, Nov 10, 2004
  2. Will

MartinC Trainee tea boy

That Inca Design Katana CD player got a very good review in this month's HiFi News if you're interested.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2004
    MartinC, Nov 10, 2004
  3. Will

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Will,

save you dosh Meridian 500 Transport circa £500 or maybe a denon 2900 £400-500ish, else that Pioneer thing 757??
    If just doing cd replay a dedicated cd transport is the way to go.

wadia-miester, Nov 10, 2004
  4. Will

michaelab desafinado

Or you could get a Teac T1 :) (I paid £200 for mine). What was the "debacle" with the VRDS-7? Would it put you off considering a Teac VRDS again?

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 10, 2004
  5. Will

sideshowbob Trisha

About £300 if you buy it from China (it's a rebadged Jungson player).

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Nov 10, 2004
  6. Will

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Errr... indeed, as Will mentioned in his first post ;) .

MartinC, Nov 10, 2004
  7. Will

sideshowbob Trisha

Doh, sorry didn't read the first post properly. ;-)

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Nov 10, 2004
  8. Will

andrew1810

9. Will

Will The Lucky One

It broke within a week of getting it!

Fortunately (as its an ex-service item bought from Richer Sounds ebay store) I can get a refund on it - I'm not sure I can be bothered getting them to 'fix' it since they'd fixed it before, and I only had it for 4 days before it broke again.

I don't have anything against TEAC VRDS players at all other than reliability - they are very well built, look nice, match my Marantz kit as well as anything that isn't marantz, and as transports they're damned good.

Unfortunately though from what I've read (and my own limited experience) the mechanism seems to be a bit unreliable. I wouldn't be deterred from another VRDS :), but I'd prefer one thats either pretty cheap (prices vary, I've seen VRDS-7s from £150 to £300 ish) or one that's been serviced recently. Where I live now means getting anything serviced is bloody difficult due to Aberystwyth being a bit 'out of the way', not to mention expensive on the wallet.

Cheers to everyone else for the advice offered so far :)

Will, Nov 10, 2004
  10. Will

Paul V

Will

I now use a Denon DVD 2900 with my Chord DAC64.It sounds really good, can play DVDs really well [not that the extra picture quality is night-and-day-noticeable thru my old telly, but will be in the future I'm sure when I upgrade] and it's nice having the SACD/DVD-A option. It looks and feels indestructable too.

BUT I find mine physically noisy when DVDs are playing [ie whisper quiet when you're spinning a CD, much noisier when you've got a DVD on], and when you put a disc in it takes ages to read the contents. Once it's up and running it's fine though.

Sevenoaks Hi-Fi lent me one with no questions asked : if I didn't like it I could have got a full refund. I'm sure you could borrow the cheaper Denon and see how it sounds and go from there...

Paul

Paul V, Nov 16, 2004
  11. Will

Audio nut

I have a CD 17 ki mk1 signature for sale in black and in excellent condition with remote, I can let you have that for £375, not bad for a machine that cost £1200 ;)

Audio nut, Nov 16, 2004
Ask a Question