CD Upgrade a waste of money??? (to match Marantz PM7200)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lloydsj, Jul 12, 2004.

1. lloydsj

lloydsj

Hi,

I have slowly been trying to build up a reasonable system over the last 12 months or so (without spending too much cash).

However, I am now in 2 minds as to whether it will be worth me changing my CD player. :confused: Firstly my CD player is a joint CD and MD unit (Sony MXD-D3), in which I no-longer use the MD (havn't used MD for over 6 months). The unit sounds ok to me, but I am no audiophile. However, on the otherhand I feel that for little outlay I could perhaps upgrade my CD player to something better, that would perhaps do my amp more justice. Especially when I consider that the MD portion is never getting used anyway.

So my plan is either:-
    1) Sell my MXD-D3, add some of my own cash and buy a new CD unit. Max budget = 250 quid (ish). Perhaps the Marantz CD7300 to match my amp ???
    2) Stick with the Sony, as I am not going to actually be able to hear the difference between it and a new £250 cd player, or the difference will be so marginal that it doesn't justify the effort of selling the Sony and spending the extra cash ???

FYI, I plan to upgrade the speakers at some point in the future, but it is not feasible at the moment. I will probably look at spending £300 (ish) on my new speakers. Perhaps B&W 602 S3's or some Quads.

My current system =
    Sony MXD-D3 (http://yocum.org/minidisc/mxd-d3/)
    Cambridge Audio Arctic Interconnect
    Marantz PM7200
    QED Original
    Mordaunt Short 902's
    Sony MDR-CD1700 Cans

Your opinions and advice would be appreciated.
    Stu.
    :MILD:

lloydsj, Jul 12, 2004
  2. lloydsj

PeteH Natural Blue

As you say if the MD isn't really getting used you might be as well to move it on and get a better CD player. I'm always inclined to make sure it's really going to be an upgrade, rather than faffing around with very slight differences - you could maybe look at the likes of a used Marantz CD6000KI for that sort of cash.

PeteH, Jul 12, 2004
  3. lloydsj

dunkyboy

Definitely. I got a CD6K KI-Sig three and a half years ago (i.e. when it was still a current model) for £300 brand new at Richer Sounds so you should be able to get it secondhand for less than that. It's a cracking CD player BTW.

Dunc

dunkyboy, Jul 12, 2004
  4. lloydsj

lloydsj

Is anywhere still selling the CD6000KI ?

Or is it only available second-hand now?

:confused:

lloydsj, Jul 12, 2004
  5. lloydsj

julian2002 Muper Soderator

lloyd,
    check out the new cambridge azure range as well. not heard them but they are very highly thought of by some
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 12, 2004
  6. lloydsj

Lefty

Hey lloyd,

I was going to hang on to it, but if you're interested I would consider selling my much cherished cd 6000 KI since I have upgraded to a naim cd 3.5. Unfortunately it would be pick up only. Looking for £225. I am based in SE London. Let me know if your interested.

Cheers,

Lefty

Lefty, Jul 13, 2004
  7. lloydsj

lloydsj

Has anyone ever compared the 6000KI to the CD7300? or seen such a comparison on the net?

I am confused as to which of the marantz players have problems with copied CDR's / CDRW's? and more importantly which DONT!

Does anyone know which ones DON'T have ANY problems with CDR's/CDRW's/and Copy Protected media?

The CD7300 is sold as a player that supports both CDR and CDRW, but then I read that it has problems with copy protected media? is this true? (and how much of a problem is this?).

Lefty: you have mail.

lloydsj, Jul 14, 2004
  8. lloydsj

Lefty

Hey Stu,

You have PM :)

Lefty, Jul 14, 2004
  9. lloydsj

lloydsj

Surely someone on here must have heard and be able to comment on which is the better player between a CD6000KI and a CD7300??? Has no-one heard them both???

:confused:

It's all well and good reading reviews about each one seperately, but when it is not a comparison (and they are both supposedly good players) then it is almost impossible to rate one above the other.

ANYONE HEARD BOTH THE CD6000KI and the CD7300???

lloydsj, Jul 16, 2004
  10. lloydsj

Rory satisfied

i replied to your pm on hfc re: the Marantz players Stu

the bottom line is of course to go out and try the players against each other. £250 or so is a lot of money just to blindly buy a cd player even with recommendations not made by your very own ears

Rory, Jul 16, 2004
  11. lloydsj

BlueMax

If the transport of your CDP is in good condition consider getting a DAC. £160+
    It will take the performance to the level of CDPs costing £1000.
    As an added bonus you can plug in many other sources into the DAC and gain considerable increase in quality.

BlueMax, Jul 17, 2004
  12. lloydsj

ditton happy old soul

I'd agree with BlueMax, add a dac if you are in anyway happy with the MDX as a transport - and it looks as though you should be - but you would have to buy an extra interconnect, so factor that into your budget.

Mind you, I've been looking at MD recorders as a possible digi-box solution for my system, so if you do decide to replace the MDX, let me know as I might be a buyer.

ditton, Jul 17, 2004
  13. lloydsj

Rory satisfied

the link Stu posted shows that the MXDD3 doesn't have a digital out.

Rory, Jul 17, 2004
  14. lloydsj

lloydsj

Ditton, you have PM.

lloydsj, Jul 18, 2004
  15. lloydsj

longlam

BlueMax,

which DAC would u recommend (esp. if its at that price)? i'm in a similiar position as lloydsj (have an ailing CDP as u know (posted on HFC)), just curious if i a DAC could improve my sound any. i cant seem to find any DACs at that price. someone did recommend the Cambridge Audio DacMagic 2+, but that's donkeys old and bcos of this cant even find any being sold.

cheers.
    ________
    Buy Vapir Vaporizer

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2011
    longlam, Jul 18, 2004
  16. lloydsj

BlueMax

I haven't listened to many DACs. So far from an expert.
    In the budget we are talking about; many people think highly of M-Audio SuperDAC 24/96 for £160. http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/digital/messages/55338.html
    Fine by itself for hi-fi, once a simple mod is done to fit RCS sockets.

It can be further improved with some useful tweaks.
    Do a search and find posts by WadiaM for the PSU mods.

Other to consider are:
    Meridian 203 DAC 7 (263) for £125
    Music Fidelity X24K or XDAC (HDCD) Price: £300 http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/archive/
    MSB Link DAC
    DPA Little Bits DACs

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2004
    BlueMax, Jul 18, 2004
Ask a Question