CD vs TT?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by 50ASL, Oct 17, 2005.

1. 50ASL

50ASL

My first proper post:

What's your preference?...

For me CD has always been my preference for many reasons. Firstly because I have seen first hand on numerous occasions just how much processing takes place when a tune is 'forced' into a tiny groove on a wax disk. To achieve this the bass is normally 'mono-ed' - and then much compression is applied. I also don't like getting up to turn the record over. Most importantly my CD combination has always significantly out performed my TT on all types of music. I also think that digital processing has moved on a lot since the 80s and lastly most of the good music from the past is now available on CD (even if a little difficult to locate at times).

TT: LP12 > Zeta Arm > Origin Live Motor Kit > Ortofon Jubilee Cart > Whest Audio PS2 Phonostage + Power Supply

CD: Naim CD2 (extensively modded) > Whest Audio DAP10 Analogue Processor.

Control: Naim 82 / Supercap (both extensively modded) > 2nd Whest Audio DAP10 (through to subs)

Playback: 2 x Revel B15 Active Sub Bass Systems (in stereo config with room correction + high pass to front L/R) > ATC 50ASL Active Monitors

50ASL, Oct 17, 2005
  2. 50ASL

lordsummit moderate mod

Whenever I've A-B'ed vinyl has comfortably won the race on sheer musicality. On CD you hear everything, on vinyl you get more coherence. We were listening to Les W's AAA5 last week, and very fine it sounded, but then we tried the same tracks on vinyl, a bit of Joy Division, and there was no comparisom. For me it's the bass lines, they're just so much more true to themselves on vinyl. I can't really explain it, but I've never heard a CD player that plays music like vinyl does.
    Right then next!

lordsummit, Oct 17, 2005
  3. 50ASL

Mr_Sukebe

Despite not having a vinyl system, I still prefer the sound of a really good LP based system.
    Having said the above, I do feel that CD is going in the right direction, and clearly has a number of useability advantages.

Mr_Sukebe, Oct 17, 2005
  4. 50ASL

Active Hiatus

I recently did a dem with various assorted mates. The general consensus was that the CD gave more detail but the TT gave more pleasure. Go figure

Active Hiatus, Oct 17, 2005
  5. 50ASL

lordsummit moderate mod

Hiatus that is much my experience, if you want hi-fi CD is your uncle, musicalness a good TT is your mothers brother!

lordsummit, Oct 17, 2005
  6. 50ASL

Anex Thermionic

I prefer the £100 project TT to CD :) vinyl makes me sit up and listen, CDs are more background music to me

Anex, Oct 17, 2005
  7. 50ASL

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Talking of Joy Divisoion, spin Unkown Pleasures on 12" (original pressing) and compare that to the CD re-releases there is no comparision.

CD is easier and easier to listen to, where as vinyl has a lot more soul, if I am working I find it hard to not pump up the volume with vinyl, the music just draws you in.

amazingtrade, Oct 17, 2005
  8. 50ASL

Stereo Mic

For my tuppence worth, Vinyl is for active listening, CD for passive.

Stereo Mic, Oct 17, 2005
  9. 50ASL

chezi

Black spanks silver. IMHO. :D
    chezi.

chezi, Oct 17, 2005
  10. 50ASL

Active Hiatus

I suppose we are assuming best possible source material aren't we. I mean "latest remastered HDCD" versus "reissue Nice Price floppy 60g pressing used as a drinks tray at several parties" might give the CD an advantage :)

And for sheer convenience CD wins.

Active Hiatus, Oct 17, 2005
  11. 50ASL

50ASL

CD Notes

I obviously expected a vote for vinyl - as its common knowledge that most CD players have problems and a mediocre TT can sound 'nice'. That's why I have had my CD modded so many times and use the Whest processor with it. But in my extensive previous experience in the music business after mixing our tracks we never liked the Vinyl replay version as it was very far away from the sound that we were actually making in the studio. It seemed 'sludgy and distorted' compared to a very good CD player. In my system the CD beats the TT for musicality, rhythm and overall delivery, presence and enjoyment. It is smoother and more open/3D - but it is an extraordinary CD player.

One thing I do know is that in addition to this my DVD plaver (only a Sony) sounds incredible with the right concert (Seal Live in Paris & Plant/Page Un-ledded)

50ASL, Oct 17, 2005
  12. 50ASL

ianb

I started off in hifi in the days before CD, but got a CD player quite early. I found that I soon stopped playing vinyl, largely. However for many years I had a nagging feeling that it was the convenience that had won me over, and that CD sound just wasn't as good. Over the last couple of years, though, I've heard a few expensive record playing systems, and quite honestly, haven't liked what I've heard. I've also bought a turntable again (well several, actually). They sound good but my CD sound is better. All that stuff about musicality, active/passive listening - if it's meant as a generalistaion about LP v. CD it's nonsense. There's good and bad in both sources.

ianb, Oct 17, 2005
  13. 50ASL

Mr.C

You've been listening to the wrong TTs my friend :)

Mr.C, Oct 18, 2005
  14. 50ASL

The Devil IHTFP

welease wodger!

The Devil, Oct 18, 2005
  15. 50ASL

50ASL

Well. I've heard about 30 TTs and none have ever blown me away (although some have been pretty good). What TT do you think would make me change my mind?

50ASL, Oct 18, 2005
  16. 50ASL

zanash

TT sound better by miles, but I use cd as a rule for its ease of use, the small space the collection occupies incomparison. But the Gyro dec is better than the 99cdp in musical terms, but the difference between an open log fire and a gas heater. They both do the same job but you have to sit and watch the log fire and tend it, much the same way you need to with a turntable.

zanash, Oct 18, 2005
  17. 50ASL

Dick Bowman

I find the more important question is "which media is the music I want to listen to available on?". CDs don't sound too good when I try to play them on my turntable, and vinyl records don't fit through the CD player's slot.

Dick Bowman, Oct 18, 2005
  18. 50ASL

griffo104

I understand where you are coming from here. My cd replay will have deeper bass but from vinyl it is more tuneful and better defined. But for me the biggest difference is in the transients. Listening to jazz and hearing some of the cymbal work by the drummers driving the rythm along. I just haven't heard it from a cd source yet.

Or listen to Moby Dick on Led Zep II and the drumming - it just propels everything along so well, in fact the same could be said for alot of rock albums on vinyl.

griffo104, Oct 18, 2005
  19. 50ASL

The Devil IHTFP

Why do you want to change your mind?

The Devil, Oct 18, 2005
  20. 50ASL

Active Hiatus

It has to be said that neither format live upto the real thing.

Active Hiatus, Oct 18, 2005
Ask a Question