CDP, Amp & Speakers for £1K?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by June, Apr 10, 2007.

1. June

June

Hi everybody! :D I'd just like to say that in the very short time that I've spent with Zero Gain I've been staggered by the enthusiasm and insight contained within its pages. My problem is that I've spent years travelling a different path ie focussing on listening and collecting music without having spent the time or money building a decent system.

Until recently, my gear was a Project Debut TT along with an Amp and CDP that I found abandoned on a tip! And some cheap headphones.

In the last 12 months I've been bitten by the Hi-Fi bug and my current kit now comprises of -
    Rega P25 TT/ RB600 tonearm,
    Rega MM Fono,
    Goldring 1042 Cartridge,
    Linn Intek Amplifier,
    Marantz CDR630 recorder,
    Yamaha KX-580SE tape recorder,
    Mana 5-tier eqquipment stand,
    Sennheiser HD650 headphones
    (all from ebay and all in great condition at bargain prices).

Now it's time for me to buy a decent pair of speakers. I mostly listen to Electronic, Funk and Dub music (ie music with rhythm, bass and detail) but I also cherish the quieter and vocal music that I have. My listening space is small (6ft wide x 9ft long) and I don't want to disturb my lovely neighbours with earth-shattering volumes. I was considering a pair of Rega Kytes (I need ample but not excessive bass and it's midrange is supposed to be good). But that was before I read about the Epos M12.2s :eek: Most likely I can get a pair for less than £350 but I'm not sure if my Linn Intek will do them justice so I'll probably be looking for another used amplifier for around £350. Suggestions anyone?
    In addition, I need a CD player for about £350 (but I might pay a little extra for a cheap CDP coupled with a good modified DAC). Again any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.JA+. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2007
    June, Apr 10, 2007
  2. June

stevehi-fi stevehi-fi

Creek A43 Mk2 Power Amplifier - Superb/Boxed/Manual.

stevehi-fi, Apr 10, 2007
  3. June

stevehi-fi stevehi-fi

Creek A43 power amp on eBay: item 270107625995 (you would need a preamp), this would sound superb.

stevehi-fi, Apr 10, 2007
  4. June

Tenson Moderator

I think even with £350 to spend I would go for a Cyrus 3 integrated unless you have some speakers that need a large amount of power (like Dynaudio or something). That would also leave you a little more cash for speakers and source. If you live anywhere near me you are welcome to have a listen to a few bits of kit I have here.

Tenson, Apr 10, 2007
  5. June

June

Thanks Steve, the ebay item you've pointed out is an A43 MK2... and it needs a pre-amp? Would it drive a pair of Epos Mk12.2s better than my Linn Intek (if I just added a preamp to the Linn?) The Intek has a rating of 50 Watts / 8 ohms per channel (80W/4 ohms). Wouldn't the Creek just be a step sideways? I know that Creek amps have been recommended with Epos speakers, but I thought this applied to the later Creek stuff (eg EVOs etc...)

June, Apr 10, 2007
  6. June

June

Thanks for the offer Tenson but I'm in the North (much further than Watford anyway!). Still seriously considering the Behringer DAC though.

June, Apr 10, 2007
  7. June

Dev Moderator

Sorry I can't help but I just wanted to ask if this was a typo.

Dev, Apr 10, 2007
  8. June

June

Hello Dev, the room with my kit in is 6 feet wide and 9 feet long. Anything strange there? I mentioned this because its a factor that I need to consider when choosing a set of speakers (they will have to sit 6 feet apart and I was wondering if this was adequate spacing for bookshelf speakers).

June, Apr 10, 2007
  9. June

DavidF

Hi June

There are people here better qualified to recommend speakers than me.......Epos generally get good press (14s as well?).

Cdps...would re-iterate that if Zanash (a regular contributer/enthusiast who builds quality cables +does some modding) has a spare AA5z....might be worth you giving it a listen. I'm getting very good results from mine.

:)

regs

David

DavidF, Apr 10, 2007
  10. June

June

Hello again David, I really like what I've read about Epos speakers but I'm wary that although models like the ES14s are some of the best Epos ever made, they need expensive kit to really get them going. Besides, they were designed some time ago and I'm dubious as to whether or not they could handle the dynamics of music produced in the last 10 or 15 years. I'm hoping that the MK12.2s would be able to do just that (but then again maybe they'd be excessive in a smallish listening space).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2007
    June, Apr 10, 2007
  11. June

DavidF

you sound pretty clued up!!

DavidF, Apr 10, 2007
  12. June

June

No not at all!; this is all second hand knowledge picked up from these forums - I haven't actually EXPERIENCED any of this stuff that I'm talking about - which is why I'm after recommendations so that I can whittle them down to a few choices that I can pursue and then listen to.

June, Apr 10, 2007
  13. June

Tenson Moderator

June, modern recordings are actually a lot less dynamic than many older ones from the 70's and 80's which was a good time for recording. You might like to have a read up on 'the loudness wars' and compression if this is of interest to you.

You should also consider active speakers. If you don't have a huge room to fill you can get extremely good results from some pretty affordable studio kit. You would need a pre-amp still, though.

Have a look at Alesis, Mackie and Behringer for some good affordable active monitors.

Tenson, Apr 10, 2007
  14. June

dreftar

Taking into consideration the size of your room I think you should checkout active monitors, like those used for near field studio monitoring. Professional Audio usually gives superb quality at excellent prices. I use a Behringer Sub to good effect. I believe it is way better than any domestic product in its price range.

dreftar, Apr 10, 2007
  15. June

DavidF

Yes, I suppose I have tried to do a simlilar thing over the last year or so.

Have you seen the audioreview forum?

I, too, use a pair of stand mounters (Ruarks in my case). I would say I have been astonished at the difference pairs of stands can make...this is something I am currently experimenting with....cones as well(big diff actually).

I borrowed a pair of Atacamas (again off Zanash/Pete) ...when i got them home I couldn't beleive the difference in sound compared to my (modded) Tar*et stands. Anyway there lies a long story....suffice to say, a sturdily designed/pair of stands makes a considerably difference IME......I'm sure you've already experinced that anyway!!

let us know how you get on!

regs

D.

DavidF, Apr 10, 2007
  16. June

June

Thanks again everyone, I hadn't heard of active speakers. I've just checked out prices on ebay for Behringer/Alesis/Mackie models and they look affordable. I'm not convinced that such tiny boxes can outperform a good pair of standmounts of a similar price - I'll try and arrange an audition at some local dealers (another first for me).
    Thanks for the link David - I'll check it out.

June, Apr 10, 2007
  17. June

Tenson Moderator

You won't find them at any hi-fi dealer they are pro-audio only.

Most of the good ones are the same size as a normal standmount too. The difference is that they have active crossovers (before the power amps) and then have a separate power amp for each driver. This generally gives lower distortion and better control of the speakers. It also means the amps can be made specifically for the speaker. you also often get controls for bass tilt to help you get the right amount of bass in your room so you can place them near the wall or out from the wall and adjust for it. You also get better value for money buying the amps and speakers as one thing.

IMO they are simply better.

These are a good price at the moment (price per speaker BTW) http://www.dv247.com/invt/7480?gclid=CKWhwvz1uIsCFSEtEAodlzCRww

Tenson, Apr 10, 2007
  18. June

DavidF

Hi again June,

Sorry I can't get a decent audioreview link here , it wouldn't copy/paste.....and thats the limit of my current knowledge! audioREVIEW should google easy enough though.

D.

DavidF, Apr 10, 2007
  19. June

DavidF

June

A lot of rather conflicting advice, I'm afraid! ;)

D.

DavidF, Apr 10, 2007
  20. June

June

Active Speakers it is then! Thanks Tenson. The Mackies seem good, but maybe I'll get lucky and find a cheap pair of PMC AL1s!

June, Apr 10, 2007
Ask a Question