CDP problem....pls help

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Class A, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Class A

Class A

I have a problem with my cdp and would like you guys to advice me pls. Up until recently, the player sometimes cant read the disc and shows up as NO DISC. Other times when I step up tracks, it takes ages before play starts or shows no disc again and the worst case is when jumping tracks backwards, eg: from track 9 back to track 3, itwill track it 1 out of 5 times and even when it does, it takes ages again. I have used a cd clean disc to clean the lens which has improved it slightly but its really bugging me. Please advice on what is wrong and what can be done. I have since spoken to Sony repair centres and they dont have a clue and not one of them have ever heard of the SCD-1 player which is a joke.
    Cheers

Class A, Aug 27, 2004
  2. Class A

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Sounds like a typical Sony laser/reading error problem to me, quite common with the 777's as well.
    I would suggest, returning to Sony for laser alignmant check and/or remidial work, plus a full service, this will ensure tip top performance of your player

wadia-miester, Aug 27, 2004
  3. Class A

Class A

Thanks for that Wadia-Miester. I have since booked the player in with sony to have a check, hope they know what they are doing. Whilst serching the internet on my player, I came across a link about the IC rom chip in the scd-1 player can be updated and the methord to display the version. ( Press text on player and check on remote at the same time). My player have the version 2.4 and the latest version is 2.53. It stated thet it will improve disc compatibility better for newer discs. I have also booked myself in with Collin @ CPT to have the player modded. Let you know how it sounds soon.
    What sort of money do sony charge for servicing????
    Cheers

Class A, Aug 27, 2004
  4. Class A

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

I'd agree with WM - I had problems with my NAD CDP that uses a Sanyo transport. I would start playing a disc, then just stop, although the disc was still spinning. Sent it back for repair under warranty. No idea what they did to it, but it works a treat now.

nsherin, Aug 27, 2004
  5. Class A

Class A

thx for that Nsherin. Since I bought my cdp second hand, Im sure they will charge me a bomb to even touch it......you think I can worm my way to get it fixed free of charge??? :D
    Cheers

Class A, Aug 27, 2004
  6. Class A

Lawrie

Keepin' it real, right here in Lawrieville.
    Class A,

Your response from the Sony repair centre is as a result of one of two things: either they are only experienced in dealing with the cheaper Sony DVD & mini systems or they have heard of the SCD-1 alright but I guess what they are saying is that they do not want to touch another one as they've had to deal with so many of them. As WM, says, your problem is not unique to your player or other Sony players and Sony Corp is definitely aware of this problem as it is not a problem that is unique to U.K. SCD-1 owners. It is/was an international problem with those players.

Just a thought - if you are going to get the player modded, and the player is out of warranty, isn't is best to get the same individual to look at your player and give an assessment rather than send it to the Sony people who don't even know one of their own products?

Enjoy the music,

Lawrie.:D

Lawrie, Aug 27, 2004
  7. Class A

Class A

Thanks for that Lawrie....I suppose you are right. I didn't know it was an international problem, the scd-1 is my first cdp from sony, normally I dont really buy sony as it is a comercial product. I have spoken to Collin @CPT who is going to mob my player and he does have the equipment to test the player but if it needs any spare parts, we are stuffed....
    Cheers

Class A, Aug 27, 2004
Ask a Question