CDP recommendations please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by madscientist, Oct 17, 2007.

1. madscientist

madscientist

Hi Guys

I am currently running a NAD 421i Cd player through an exposure XV integrated and Epos ES14 speakers. My turntable is a Rega Planar3 with heed orbit. The turntable gives the best sound when compared to the CD player in my opinion BUT... i have a big collection of CD's to listen to and have been thinking about replacing the NAD for something more -analogue like (if that is not an oxymoron). Can anyone recommend some CD players i could entertain up to £1K secondhand not a problem. Any suggestions most welcome

cheers
    paul

madscientist, Oct 17, 2007
  2. madscientist

dudywoxer Regaholic

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
    dudywoxer, Oct 17, 2007
  3. madscientist

lordsummit moderate mod

Look at the Cambridge ones, they're unbelievable value for money, the build quality and the sound punches well above their weight

lordsummit, Oct 17, 2007
  4. madscientist

scott_01

Listen to lots if you are able.

I heard a only few and thought the Cambridge 840 had the best mix of qualities at the price. so I got one.

I know I have banged on about this but if you get one and are prepared to spend 40 quid on 'Dynamat' and several hours fitting it then you have a hugely improved player.

Once that is done, you should have a couple of hundred quid for CDs,

Or a chromium - plated, 110% non - oxidised, super-conducting rare metal interconnect. If you do actually fancy trying a new IC, ask Zanash about his Ag/Au, try before you buy.

Or, you could take a look at Wadia Meister's Options or the Tentlabs Mods. These should keep the basic even - handed character of the player whilst really improving the bass (dynamat) top end / 'attack' (WM) and tonality (is that a word?) Tentlabs.

In direct comparison I've only heard mine very briefly A-B with the new Bel Canto, it isn't as good but it does a broad spectrum of things very well and it cost less than 1/2 the price.

However, (to cut to the chase) you might not like it as much as I do so listen first.

scott_01, Oct 17, 2007
  5. madscientist

Czechchris

technobear may be still interested in selling his Audionet ART V2 at £1k I believe. He has said it is not available because people didn't want to pay the price, but I think it is a good price for it. A seriously good cdp IMO. Worth a listen to.
    https://www.audio-forums.com/as-rediect/showthread.php?t=17233

Czechchris, Oct 17, 2007
  6. madscientist

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

try the 840c, the dynamat is the best money you'll spend on it. the other mods are less likely to bring serious improvements.

( i should know,mine has a new clock, regs and output stage in it) and it did less than the dynamat.

sq225917, Oct 17, 2007
  7. madscientist

madscientist

Dynamat

Thanks for the advice guys can you give me some more details about DYNAMAT ie: where do you get it & how to fit it?

thanks

paul

madscientist, Oct 18, 2007
  8. madscientist

scott_01

Try this link:

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/3052.html

And this one:

http://www.dynamat.com/technical_specs_dynamat_original.html

To double layer your player you will need:

2 of those packages - Get the ORIGINAL not DYNAMAT EXTREME.
    An anti-stat matt
    A pair of needle nose pliars
    Star-head driver to get the case bolts off
    A couple of screw drivers
    3 - 4 hours
    A hair dryer / heat gun / roller

It's pretty simple to do (i managed it) but if you are unsure you could ask SQ or I about the details. If you don't have the time or don't want to do it yourself then you could try 'Wadia Meister'

scott_01, Oct 18, 2007
  9. madscientist

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

i just unplugged all the boards, unscrewed the traffo and cd mech and made templates out of paper.

once i was sure i had all the right shapes i then set about making sure i did it all in as few bits as possible. one continuos sheet damps better than many small pieces.

i used one layer on the bottom inside, one on the top and two deep on the fluted side sections.

the biggest improvement comes from doing the verticle sides of the webbing arnagement that supports the cd mech. this is where the bass hides....!

sq225917, Oct 18, 2007
  10. madscientist

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I have to say Scott did a rather good job on his player, lot of attention to detail, and time consuming too.
    However worth the result.

wadia-miester, Oct 18, 2007
  11. madscientist

scott_01

I'll just get that halo polished,

Oh, happy birthday for yesterday Tony hope you had a good day.

scott_01, Oct 18, 2007
Ask a Question