cdp suggestions please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Czechchris, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Czechchris

Czechchris

Hi,
    I have an Audionet ART V2 cdp into an Audionet Pre1G2 preamp and Cyrus MonoX monoblocks to Dynaudio Focus 220's as my main 2-channel system.

I bought the ART V2 s/h, about 18months ago, but recently it has been back to Germany twice for niggly problems to be sorted. This has led to a level of dissatisfaction with the machine (although definitely not with the sound of it!) and thoughts of possible upgrade are beginning to take root in the fertile soil of my brain.
    I would rather like the Audionet ART G2 - I am assured that the problems of the V2 were sorted for the G2 - but there is this nagging doubt (and my wife, who also loves the sound of the Audionet, is now quite disenchanted with the brand).

What other cdps would you recommend I listen to. Budget is up to about £3.5k new (and I would prefer to buy new after my experience), but the player would have to come very close to the excellent performance of the V2, or better it.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

Music I like - eclectic mix: Classical (Mahler, Copland, Glass); Rock (Zappa, Beefheart, Hendrix, Jethro Tull); not too much jazz (Miles Davis, Joe Zawinul); Dylan. So the player has to be versatile!!

[This post is part of my new "post more on ZG" policy. All rights reserved]

Czechchris, Jun 26, 2008
  2. Czechchris

kmac

3.5k is a lot of money!!

Audition the McIntosh MCD201 and its successor the MCD301

kmac, Jun 26, 2008
  3. Czechchris

hifi addict

I rate the MSB power DAC or the MSB DAC III which you can upgrade as and when you want to/have the money.

Is there an Esoteric for that money?

hifi addict, Jun 26, 2008
  4. Czechchris

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Personally I think you getter a better sound and certainly better value for money, using a 'cheap' transport and a very good DAC, if the transport does break/become obsolete it can be easily replaced and a really good dac can be used with an optical transport or streaming from a hard drive.

Purite Audio, Jun 26, 2008
  5. Czechchris

hifi addict

How is the Vekian? have you tried the USB input?

hifi addict, Jun 26, 2008
  6. Czechchris

Rocker

The Resolution Audio Opus 21 two box setup and two sets of three Ceraballs is a hard combination to beat without spending silly money. My cents worth FWIIW. [I did take my own advice BTW]

Rocker, Jun 26, 2008
  7. Czechchris

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Paul Hi, Mike Stahl only included a USB connection for convenience I don't believe he recommends it for ultimate sound quality, I am pretty sure he prefers the AES/SBU . Just waiting for some new monoblocs A6000 double parallel single ended mono's and a new pre-amp , hope fully arriving this week, been trying some Emission Lab 300B's which are really good. Regards Keith.

Purite Audio, Jun 26, 2008
  8. Czechchris

john dolan

Chris hang on to your money until you go to kippers for a listen to the new Cyrus se players.With your budget you could get the dac xp and new cd se transport.Ive never heard your Audionet ART V2 cdp but with your mostly Cyrus system i think the dac xp and new transport should be high up on your must listen to list.The Bel canto cd player and meridian worth a listen also.

john dolan, Jun 26, 2008
  9. Czechchris

Czechchris

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Where in London would it be possible to audition the McIntosh cdps?
    I have to admit I have never heard of MSB dacs, so I would need to do some research on those.
    The Resolution Opus 21 I have heard and it gets quite close to the Audionet, so that is a possibility.
    The Cyrus SE, John, I'm not so sure about even with the dacXP, but I will certainly listen to it. The Audionet preamp I have is excellent, though, so I am not sure I would want to change that too. I would also have the opportunity to listen to the Ayre CX7E at Moorgate.
    the Bel Canto cdp is not grandchild-proof, though John, the mechanism is too exposed! :mad:
    Which Meridian did you have in mind?:confused:

Has anyone a view on Sugden cdps (Masterclass?)

Please keep the suggestions coming - the more choices I have the more fun I will have in whittling it down! :D:D

Czechchris, Jun 26, 2008
  10. Czechchris

lbr monkey boy

lbr, Jun 27, 2008
  11. Czechchris

Petergc

Petergc, Jun 27, 2008
  12. Czechchris

kmac

Not really in London, but not too far, with a budget like that, it is worth going down to Souns of Music and speding a few hours auditioning stuff. They have quite a few listening/demo rooms and tons of gorgeous kit.

http://www.sounds-of-music.co.uk/

kmac, Jun 27, 2008
  13. Czechchris

joel Shaman of Signals

oppo

joel, Jun 27, 2008
  14. Czechchris

Czechchris

It's Moorgate Accoustics in Sheffield that have the Ayre on demo. Website
    I shall be in Sheffield shortly so will probably listen to it then.

Getting out to demo isn't the easiest thing, as I am disabled - I have family near Sheffield which helps.

KJ West One have the Audionet ART G2 too, and have offered a home demo on that, so possibly I could include the McIntosh too.

Czechchris, Jun 27, 2008
  15. Czechchris

john dolan

I was thinking of the meridian g08 Chris they are about £2200 More expensive players like the mark levinson no39 and wadia 302 are highly regarded at the upper end of your budget but i have not heard them myself.

john dolan, Jun 27, 2008
  16. Czechchris

D Louth 77

Hi czechchris at your price point there is also the Audia flight one ,a top loading player . Its available in black and silver ,nice sound and may suit your taste in music . I don't know how it will work in the context of your system but any good dealer should allow you a home demo .
    Also the Electrocompaniet Emc-1 £3450 is an excellent cd player with a very organic,seamless sound also well worth hearing .
    Regards D Louth

D Louth 77, Jun 27, 2008
  17. Czechchris

kmac

Do you mean the DVD player? i.e.these guys http://www.oppodigital.com/

I have the DVD player but never though of laying CDs... will have try over the w/e

kmac, Jun 27, 2008
  18. Czechchris

joel Shaman of Signals

Yup.

Just convince yourself - before you play anything - that it's a Mark-Levinson or a Wadia or anything else you like to imagine. That's the beauty of subjectivism ;-)

joel, Jun 27, 2008
  19. Czechchris

kmac

I'm not convinced that throwing big money at CD players is the way to go. I'd say as a rule of thumb 75% of budget on Speakers, 20% on amp and remainder on digital source.

I understand its a different game with vinyl.

The Oppos damn good with movies BTW

kmac, Jun 27, 2008
  20. Czechchris

joel Shaman of Signals

I'm convinced you're right in being not convinced.

joel, Jun 27, 2008
Ask a Question