cdp suggestions please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Czechchris, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Czechchris

Czechchris

Coops, yes it was, but we are disenchanted withthe reliability of the machine now, ever wondering if it will go wrong again!

D Louth, thanks for that tip. Actually I think I only have one sacd, so it may not be a problem anyway.

Czechchris, Nov 28, 2008
  2. Czechchris

D Louth 77

Check it anyway

You only have one now. Trust me if you go down this route you will get more. The noise maybe heard on cd playback too, you must check that as well. This type of high pitched mech noise is very annoying and you would be surprised at what play back level it is still audible at. I could not live with it. I used to have A Sony but the Marantz sounded better but the Sony was silent what a fabulous mech these first two Sony players had.

Regards D Louth 77

D Louth 77, Nov 28, 2008
  3. Czechchris

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Chris Hi, I understand, if the old player were to go wrong again, would there be any recourse did you get a guarantee, whats the plan to sell and just buy something else a bit more reliable?

Purite Audio, Nov 28, 2008
  4. Czechchris

Czechchris

On that basis, (that it is a problem on cd replay too) I would probably look elsewhere. That electrocompaniet looks enticing.

It is outside any warranty now. I would either try to sell (now???) or p/ex for something hopefully more reliable and representing a reasonable upgrade.

Czechchris, Nov 28, 2008
  5. Czechchris

D Louth 77

Noise

Hi Chris

Thats not exactly what I said. I have not seen this new player so you must check it out for yourself. As SACD's are spun at a much higher speed than normal cd's it is more likely for there to be a noise issue. This new Esoteric may or may not be silent on both I don't know. You should check it out to see what is the case with this new player. Is it silent on both or just one or a problem on both.

Please let us know your findings. All I am saying is that there has been an issue with noise on Esoterics and other SACD /cd Players, in the past.

Regards D Louth 77

D Louth 77, Nov 28, 2008
  6. Czechchris

Czechchris

Yes, I see that now. Sorry if I misread it. If I go the Esoteric way I'll be sure to check for that.

Czechchris, Nov 28, 2008
  7. Czechchris

raynor73

Hi Chris
    following on from what Coops and a few others have said, it's really worth trying a good DAc with a transport first. I used to use a Chord Blu / DAC 64.2 (about 7.5K new value, though I didn't buy new).

Recently due to other needs I sold the Chords and took a chance on a Lavry DA10 after reading very good things. I demo'd hard against the Chords just before I sold them. The Chords had a little more detail and air around the instruments, though the Lavry (with my DVD player!) was warmer and more coherent with suprisingly a wider soundstage. I've since purchased an oldish and mint Toshiba DVD player (heavy as sin) to use as the transport and changed the cables upon advice to Mark Grant Canare's and the difference is not subtle. After a month I can honestly say that it's really grown on me and I'm sure the difference is to slight to now really notice. So £750 for a CDP that rivals the Chords (in all but looks, as they were very sexy!).

I'm in London to (SE) and you are welcome to come have a listen if you want...

Regards

James

raynor73, Nov 28, 2008
  8. Czechchris

Purite Audio Purite Audio

My experience is that using a 'cheap' transport and a decent DAC the SQ was better than even the most expensive cdp's, it seems to me you have to pay a huge amount for that 4mm aluminium faceplate, of course there may not bethe same 'pride of ownership' !

Purite Audio, Nov 29, 2008
Ask a Question