CDP Upgrades

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by chris.gally, Mar 23, 2004.

1. chris.gally

chris.gally

Hello

I need to sell the DAC64 (again :rolleyes: ) and was wondering what kind of upgrades can be done to the Sony SCD777ES. Will it ever be able to come up to the standard of the DAC64?

I've looked at Audiocom mods (clock and black gates) and they seem very cost effective, I just don't know what they will sound like. Anybody any experience?

Thanks

Chris

chris.gally, Mar 23, 2004
  2. chris.gally

greg Its a G thing

I'm on the verge of getting my SCD-1 upgraded which as you prob know is very similar to the 777ES. However, my decision will be speculative as I am yet to compare mine to a modded SCD-1.

Bearing this caveat in mind, I have read a range of views from a wide range of sources, and the general conslusion is very positive. The problem with both SCD-1 and 777ES is there are some very good design aspects/components and some very average ones. The clock is one of the very average components. As such they seem to have a very good basic design (transport/isolation, etc.) but with lots of scope for improvement - the Nissan Skyline of the CD/SACD players if you will.

I'm sufficiently convinced to spend circa 1200 squids on mods to the SCD-1 ahead of even considering upgrading my amp or speakers. I couldnt possibly speculate whether a modded SCD-1 would match/exceed the benefits of a Chord DAC64. It would probably sound quite different and would only ever provide 16 bit standard.

What are your thoughts at the moment?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2004
    greg, Mar 23, 2004
  3. chris.gally

chris.gally

Greg

Like you, i've read many favourable reviews of the mods (Audio Review e.t.c.). The only problem i've got is that from where i am (Manchester) there seems to be no local modders or people with modified machines i can compare.

The last time i got rid of the DAC it only took 2 days for me to realise i couldn't live without it. The 777ES just sounded dull and dead in comparison (not on SACD though). This is why i need some 'sound' advice.

Have any other forum members had any experience of these players, both modded and unmodded?

Chris

4. chris.gally

greg Its a G thing

Chris - why sell the DAC64?
    The benefit of the modded SCD-1/777ES is the improvements also benefit the SACD playback too!

However, for 1200 squids I could potentially get a used DAC64. Decisions decisions. Mmmmm.

greg, Mar 23, 2004
  5. chris.gally

chris.gally

Greg...

I'm selling the DAC as i need to free up some cash. Also for little outlay (£300-400) i beleive i can improve sound of the 777ES. The improved SACD playback will be a bonus.

Now... If you'd like a DAC64..... :D

Chris

6. chris.gally

GrahamN

Chris - you need to drop WM (Wadia-Miester) a line. If he hasn't modded one yet, he'll no doubt be itching to rectify that glaring omission :rolleyes:

GrahamN, Mar 23, 2004
  7. chris.gally

chris.gally

GrahamN

Thanks for the advice... unfortuately after a lovely phone call, not only is my DAC up for sale.. The rest of my system is too :(

cheers

Chris

8. chris.gally

greg Its a G thing

Chris - whats the story dude?

greg, Mar 23, 2004
  9. chris.gally

chris.gally

The Inland revenue... :bub:

Chris

10. chris.gally

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Graham,

Have a 'T' shirt & video on this one, (well digital (the camera was fully DBT'd too, 7 out of ten chimps said they could a see a difference in the darkness) photo's some where any road)
    Power supply subsitution & analogue stage reconfiguration yeilds some what surprising results.
    But are your fully aware, I can't tell the difference between a modded and a unmodded version, it's a complete waste of money sir sorry :rolleyes:

wadia-miester, Mar 23, 2004
  11. chris.gally

greg Its a G thing

Say no more! Caught me out by 17K last year. I'm prepared though this time. :cool:

greg, Mar 23, 2004
  12. chris.gally

chris.gally

Greg

I've decided to shut shop... cant be bothered with the hassles anymore. Looking at alternatives at the mo (move abroad, different industry).

Fruit picking in the south of France it is then :D

Chris

13. chris.gally

greg Its a G thing

Tony - are you up for hot rodding my SCD-1?

greg, Mar 23, 2004
  14. chris.gally

Greg,
    Blimey £17K income tax, most I paid when I ran the garage was £35K over 3 years. If you can find a decent accountant super glue him to the desk!!!
    Although a vat bill for £120K at the end was shite :D.
    Greg, remind me of your system (cables are out as they all the same anyway), what you actually want the sony to do, and what you wish to spend?.
    Kit Taylor has a audiocom modded version if I recall he posts here too. My Brothers p/x'd his on a MSB Platium player MkII (big upgrade).So finding a listen to a modded one my be tricky, but not impossible.
    Your also keen on the sacd format if I'm correct greg yes?

15. chris.gally

greg Its a G thing

Trichord 500va, SCD-1, Cyrus 7 + PSX-R, Ruark Epilogue II, REL Q200E.

Blimey! If thats not an impossible question for someone of my limited experience. I'm thinking start with the mods recommended by Audiocom and take it from there: eg. Superclock II, Never connected PSU, perhaps black gate capacitors in the most obvious places, and so on...

I am thinking as the basics get sorted we could get a bit more subjective based on your views and opnions and as I develop a better understanding of the possibilities... Does this sound sensible?

greg, Mar 23, 2004
  16. chris.gally

GrahamN

Now, now....there does appear to be some anecdotal evidence that you are one of the few people who can! I'm surprised you haven't tried collecting on that £1000 (or was it $) that's being offered for the genuinely golden-eared.

And even in the hotly-disputed cable area, I also don't think most people have been saying that there's no difference between ANY cables (although Mike currently seems to be in the first flush of newly-converted zeal), and active components certainly have some effect - it's just that there's little evidence of black magic having a demonstrable effect.

GrahamN, Mar 23, 2004
  17. chris.gally

But Graham, whilst I do concur with you good self for the most part "anecdotal evidence " is refuted by the DBT's are being unreliable at best :rolleyes:
    At the moment the problem I feel here is if for example I say, I've just changed my isloation components for some thing I consider *superior* and I make a comment to that effect, then within 2 posts or so the bollox squad have decloaked en masse for a brick wall filter stylee love in. Whilst their views are as valid as anyone else's, prehaps some first hand experinace may promote better under standing :rolleyes:
    I'll put a disclimer up first I feel *Warning non DBT at Work*
    Graham the 64, had it's psu removed (SWPS) a remote never connected off board psu, and *voodoo Quantum filters* where the smps went, work to the anaolgue stages to.
    A nice improvement to the unit was made, have preformed this on 2 of them now. T.

18. chris.gally

Greg,

Yes clock replacement/decent dedicated psu, some analogue stage mods, some psu upgrades too, not just caps, shocktys or maybe a another N/c for the output stages, maybe some reciever chip mods?. Internal Isolation, constrained layer damping thats sort of thing. Pm me if you want to take it further. T.

19. chris.gally

michaelab desafinado

That's no different to how the situation was before when someone asked for some advice and the foo-foo dust squad decloaked en masse and weighed in with Eupen this, Seismic Sink that, mains filter over there as often as not not based on any real experience :rolleyes:

Everyone's entitled to their views and to not be ridiculed for them.

Edited to add: I've never suggested that component mods don't make a difference. There's every reason to believe they do.

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 23, 2004
  20. chris.gally

Micheal,

I do believe you missed this piece out of your selected cut & pate sir :)

"Whilst their views are as valid as anyone else's, prehaps some first hand experinace may promote better under standing"

I've never suggested that component mods don't make a difference. There's every reason to believe they do.

How can you say that Mike, know that virtually all the mods we do involve the replacement of internal wiring as well.
    Prehaps you should remove the wire from the IEC and the main psu board and replace it with the Stock stuff used in the captive lead ?.

Everyone's entitled to their views and to not be ridiculed for them.

This is true, we'll hold you to this, and what about Merlins offer of a DBT when your over next, prehaps a write for the forum too, would be good to promote harmony and understanding
    :)

Ask a Question