CDP - why?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by MontyW, Dec 9, 2007.

1. MontyW

MontyW

Hi,

I have been looking for a CDP or transport to hook up to my Benchmark DAC1 for a while, until today when I borrowed a Denon DN-C640 Network Cd player from a friend. Indeed it was this friend who introduced me to the Benchmark.

When hooked up to the DAC1 this CDP to my ears sounds 'amazing'! This got me thinking, why is it we often don't consider pro recording studio kit, especially as the Denon CDP costs around £500?

Cheers,

Monty

MontyW, Dec 9, 2007
  2. MontyW

RobHolt Moderator

Audiophile snobbery - simple as that.

RobHolt, Dec 9, 2007
  3. MontyW

rollo

IMHO, just a lack of exposure to what is available. My buddy uses a Tascam CDP as a transport and an Art DIO as a D/A. Sounds dam good to me. The active crossovers from Rane are the real deal as well.
    You don't know until you try. The best part is the pricing seems fair for the Pro gear. No high end salons I guess.

rollo

rollo, Dec 9, 2007
  4. MontyW

cooky1257

I don't know-probably is snobbery.
    People should though!
    Open up some high end kit and you'll laugh or cry depending on wether you've forked out a fortune on it or not.

cooky1257, Dec 9, 2007
  5. MontyW

MontyW

Well I was amazed at how good the Denon/Benchmark combo was... and in my view excellent value for money!

I have spent many years buying hi-fi kit and have never (until recently) considered pro studio gear - I will from now on.

Monty

MontyW, Dec 9, 2007
  6. MontyW

George Sallit

Some is good and some just average.

A lot is designed to withstand a real bashing so it has to be very resilient. This is not normally a problem at home. Sorting the wheat from the chaff is the problem.

Also some equipment is designed so you can hear all the problems with a recording. You don't want people to hear the air-con unit because your speakers missed them. This tends to mean some gear has an incredibly forward sound so you can hear it all.

As most is played very loud then that is also important but maybe not as much for home users.

Still I can talk with Tannoy speakers...

George Sallit, Dec 9, 2007
  7. MontyW

BlueMax

I have used cables and interconnects made for the pro audio-market. eg. Van Damme direct from VDC Trading.
    Found that they are top quality stuff without the 'hi-fi' price tag. So I guess CDPs and other gear made for use by recording companies, broadcasting stations, etc will be just as good. But where do you find them?

BlueMax, Dec 9, 2007
  8. MontyW

MontyW

MontyW, Dec 9, 2007
  9. MontyW

Tenson Moderator

There is also snobbery in the pro market, so don't be fooled in to thinking its all worth the money. I think in general though, the more affordable pro kit is better sounding than the affordable domestic kit.

Tenson, Dec 9, 2007
Ask a Question