cdr help please!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Rory, May 26, 2004.

1. Rory

Rory satisfied

do audio cd recorders (i.e. hifi separate ones) support Disc-at-once recording? I am specifically looking at the Philips CDR779 and when i make a new track marker, recording from analogue inputs, I don't want a gap... does anyone know?

Rory, May 26, 2004
  2. Rory

Dev Moderator

Hi Rory,

I don't know about your Philips but I have a Tascam which has "sync" recording. I.e. as soon as it detects a singal through it's digital link, it starts recording and will stop when the signal stops. So, it records each track and stops after each track and then starts up again for the next track until the CD is completed, you can then initiate another recording if you have space left or finalise.

Dev, May 26, 2004
  3. Rory

Slaphead Lurking less

I use a TEAC CD on my system recorder and frequently record from vinyl. I don't get gaps when whenever I add a trackmarker - even when I pause the recorder to flip the vinyl I don't seem to get a noticeable gap of pure silence - so I would assume that my recorder at least does do disc at once.

When recording digitally it simply copies the trackmarker from the source disk - again no gap.

Thinking about it logically, it would make no sense for the manufacturers to produce audio CD recorders that forced a silent gap whenever a trackmarker is inserted, as putting analoge recordings onto CD is a major selling point for these.

Slaphead, May 27, 2004
  4. Rory

Rory satisfied

thanks for answers- we shall find out tomorrow when said beast arrives!!

slaphead- i found some articles on the interweb which said that all hifi separate cdr decks recorded in TAO which obviously infers the 2 second gap between tracks... my old MD recorder certainly allowed me to insert new track markers on analogue recordings....

as i'll be mixing tunes on pc and out to a mixer, and there onto the audio recorder, the last thing i want is gaps! Its good to hear, even if the Philips doesn't do it, that there are some about!! incidentally, which TEAC do you have slaphead?

dev- hows the dac going?

Rory, May 27, 2004
  5. Rory

Dev Moderator

I bought it for my daughter. Providing stirling service at the end of a Terratec Aureon sound card:D

Dev, May 27, 2004
  6. Rory

Rory satisfied

for all those worried about my little conundrum (yeh, right!!), the Philips does indeed allow you to make new markings on analogue recordings. And fine it is too, not bad for £93 new ;)

thanks for words of wisdom :)

Rory, May 28, 2004
Ask a Question