CDRs

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by MO!, Jul 1, 2003.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Need tp get some MOre blank CDs. Last lot i bought were bog standard spindle of 100 from PC World for peanuts. Just checked and none left though :eek: I never had any problems with them and though I never did any back to back testing they sounded pretty much spot on to me.

Reccomendations? Not too bothered about cases as I tend to keep my back up copies in a folder.

So, where do you lot get yours?

Cheers MO

:D

MO!, Jul 1, 2003
  2. MO!

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

poundstrecher,£9.99 for 25,includes proper plastic case,no proplems yet,

themadhippy, Jul 1, 2003
  3. MO!

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i've got some green packard bell ones... they're GREEN and therefore sound better right? built in green pen laser absorbtion and that yeah?
    ok, i'll get me coat.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 1, 2003
  4. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I think the pc world ones I got were something rediculous like £25 for 100 spindle!

MO!, Jul 1, 2003
  5. MO!

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

6. MO!

Bill Phabb

Bill Phabb, Jul 1, 2003
  7. MO!

Rory satisfied

for me, the TDK Reflex CDR74 Pros do actually sound noticeably better than stock say Packard Bell ones- TDKs are 25 for a tenner at PCW which doesn't include cases, but plastic come papery type sleeves which keep scratches to a minimum

Rory, Jul 1, 2003
  8. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Hippy. Them maplins ones look pretty much the same as the pcworld ones I've just finished. Though i've never had any problems with them, I'd prefer something with at least a plain white top side. These ones are practicaly see through when held up to the light! Can't imagine that being too good?

Bill, that link re directs to the blankdiscshop.co.uk

Looks like they're pretty god price wise!

And following on from Julians green ones, there's some black ones on there too HERE quite near the bottom.

Are their reasons other than looks for this? Are they likely to have any problems?

Cheers

MO :D

MO!, Jul 2, 2003
  9. MO!

test tone

MO!

Firstly, black CDR's are a product of a coloured polycarbonate layer, rather than special dye types/reflective layers. There's is talk of improvement in terms of refraction/UV protection, etc, etc. Much or all of which is nonsense. More credible is that PSX pirates prefer them!.

In terms of sonics that's more of a factor of burn quality, with a slight nod in the direction of media/burner compatibility.

With reasonable care the resultant sound quality be indistinguishable from the original.

test tone, Jul 2, 2003
  10. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Went for the re print ones in the end. £10 ish for 100! Can't go wrong :D Cheers for the links.

MO!, Jul 3, 2003
  11. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/80_Minute_Discs.html

The Overprint ones on there! Bargain! They're like the purple/blue ones in the pic. Can see what's printed underneath if angle them right. Looks like these ones are the Verbatim ones. Selling on there for MOre MOney for just 50 of them! Don't know if they're always verbatim or if it's hit and hope. But i'll deffo be using them again!

Burned about 10 CDs so far with no errors :D

MO!, Jul 10, 2003
  12. MO!

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

The overprints are indeed a bargain, I've found though having used a few spindles of these, that the top and bottom 10 or so are often scratched and not worth using. Still, 80 for £10 is a bargain.

If you're looking for high quality media for data storage or whatever, the Taiyo Yuden manufactured discs are usually available at £25 for 100 through blankdiscshop too. I've found sometimes with cheaper CDRs that extracting from them can be a problem, or, in the case of Maxell/Memorex, impossible.

ilockyer, Jul 10, 2003
  13. MO!

robert_cyrus

just bought tdk reflex ultra 74 min cd's from pc world, £7.99 for 20 in tyvlek sleeves.
    except they're made by ritek - i assume to tdk's exacting standards.
    ritek use to be a mark of low quality, but that's not the case now.

robert_cyrus, Jul 10, 2003
  14. MO!

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Yep - those overprints are also really groovy looking :)

Aha - so Taiyo Yuden are still going then? When Thats stopped as a blank media brand I did wander...

Memorex CDRs in my experience are awful - I'll not be using them again. Their blank tapes are a bit naff as well. Maxell I have *never* got on with - although their UDII tapes from the early 90s were passable. I had a pack of 3 Maxell URs in 1987 and all 3 of them jammed within about 3 runs through of new - bloody awful stuff!

domfjbrown, Jul 10, 2003
  15. MO!

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

Yep, TY are very much still going. Their discs are much more prevalent in the US where the mass market is though, they manufacture for Fuji, TDK, Sony and Hewlett Packard, amongst others. Their product is still streets ahead of the, IMO, vastly inferior Ritek discs, which I've had no end of trouble with!

They used to manufacture for Philips but I'm not sure whether they still do, the Philips TYs I bought came from blankdiscshop too.

What does bug me though, is how expensive decent quality media is here in the UK compared to the US, where you can buy 100 Fuji TYs for $19.99, often with in-store and mail-in rebates bringing the price down to about $5, and that's in high street stores. Here we just get shafted, I seem to recall Kodak 74's were £35 for 25 in Dixons not too long ago. Another sadly defunct CDR manufacturer, although still doing their films etc.

ilockyer, Jul 10, 2003
  16. MO!

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

You're surprised? The only time we HAVEN'T been buttf***ed in this country for ANYTHING was when 24 Hour Party People/Shakespeare In Love came out and the US had to wait for a change...

Prices be reasonable over here - do me a favour. Plus we get taxed on pay AND taxed on the ripoff goods - time to emigrate perhaps?

domfjbrown, Jul 10, 2003
  17. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I ordered two lots of 100. I've not had any scratched ones :D

MO!, Jul 10, 2003
Ask a Question