centre channel amplification

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rodrat, Feb 22, 2005.

1. rodrat

rodrat

I currentley have a stereo/home cinema setup comprising pmc Ob1's/Bryston 4b st/ bp20 into a yamaha E800 to provide the front channels and at the moment the E800 driving the centre and rears. However, I have just purchased a pmc Lb1 centre and Lb1 rears. Whilst the yamaha will drive them, I have a couple of Aura PA100 power amps which I beleive would improve the sound if linked to the E800's pre amp stage.

Now to the question.

The PA100's can be bridged, so I was thinking of using one to power the rears and one in bridged mode to power the centre. This would give 100rms per channel on the rears and 250rms on the centre. Can anyone think of a reason why this should not work. I am assuming that when in bridged mode there is only one input and the amp is only connected to one speaker so it should be OK but I do not want to damage the amp.

thanks

Rod

rodrat, Feb 22, 2005
  2. rodrat

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

What is the ohm loading of the centre spk ? Some amps do not like being bridged with 4ohm load spks

I use a 2 channel Rotel RB991 (200wpc) which Bi-amps the KEF 200c. It works really really well.

Levi_501, Feb 22, 2005
  3. rodrat

rodrat

Hi Levi

Thanks for the reply. The LB1 is a 4ohm nominal. I will need to dig out the amp manual to see if this gives any advice. I suspect it won't be much help as I doubt this scenario had even been considered when the amp was made.

thanks

Rod

rodrat, Feb 22, 2005
Ask a Question