Centre Speaker Advice Please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by angi73, Aug 11, 2005.

1. angi73

angi73

I am building a modest Av setup (5 ch/5.1) that will be entirely separate from my music system. So far i have a yamaha reciever that was £600 a few years ago, nothing amazing, but it has all the features i need. I have some Ae109's for the front speakers, which should do a reasonable job, certainly not short on clout, and the source for the meantime will be a budget sony dvd player for the meantime.

My question is this, i have no experince of putting such a system together, but i understanmd it is very important to have a good centre speaker, and preferably one that is a good tonal match for the front speakers. There was a matching centre spoeaker for the AE's many moons ago, but they never seem to appear, the closest available model seems to be the AE aegis series, but looking at some reviews it doesn't seem all that hot.

I have set a busget of around £100, most probabaly for the secondhand route. There are quite a few things on ebay, how about an old Kef reference 100/q95, or a b&w lcr.

My head is spinning with the options available, can anyone tell me of their experiences/offer any help

Much obliged

angi73, Aug 11, 2005
  2. angi73

ditton happy old soul

The av speaker frontstage is as important as you describe. I found good advice on tonal mix from folk on avtalk.co.uk and would recommend posting there. The sub is also important, and would allow you to include smaller speakers in such a set up.

ditton, Aug 11, 2005
  3. angi73

Cloth-Ears

Keep it in the family. The front 3 should be from the same range ideally or at least from the family.

AE do a centre called the EVO 3, which I currently use until I get my TAG and Exposures set up, then I'll get the centre version of whatever I eventually use for main speakers.

It sells for £150 but you can get it cheaper. I noticed Superfi, which does mail order, is doing for £100 delivered.( Its probably getting a replacement) Trust me its a clear sound. Available in Maple, Cherry or Black.

Hope that helps.

Cloth-Ears, Aug 11, 2005
  4. angi73

angi73

I'm very staisfied, i bought a b stock aesprit 307 centre of acoustic energy for £60 delivered. It is has very similar drive units to the 109's and I even managed to get it in a very similar finish, easily as good if not beter than the Aegis surely. A bargain. :)

angi73, Aug 16, 2005
  5. angi73

Cloth-Ears

Oh yes thats great for you. I only mentioned my speaker as one cheap alternative from the AE range. I didn't know there was or wasn't one for your your particular speakers. You've found it and that's great. Spot on as it matches.

Cloth-Ears, Aug 16, 2005
  6. angi73

angi73

Thanks for the help, i wasn't having a dig at you, i was going to get the aegis until I saw the aesprit.

angi73, Aug 17, 2005
Ask a Question