Centre Speaker

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mark67, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Mark67

Mark67

I have just about finished setting up my AV/Hifi system. The last thing is my Centre speaker.

At present I am using a Mission 75C with my B&W 805Sig's.
    I don't want to spend a fortune so was looking at either Ex-Display or used. Maybe even S/H.

Have you got any suggestions?

BTW, the Mission is for sale if anyone is interested.

Thanks.

Mark67, Dec 18, 2003
  2. Mark67

Matt F

Mmmm... you could try one of the cheaper B&W range (600 series) but I'm not sure tonally how they compare with your 805's.

Alternatively just go for a high quality centre - here's a suggestion - see if you can find an M&K S85C - tiny little thing (must be set to small) but excellent quality monitor and what might prove useful is that there are two wiring options for "standard" or "bright" tonality - this might make matching it to your main speakers a bit easier.

Having owned a Mission 75C for a while I can say that an M&K S85 is in a different league for sound quality. They stopped making them a few months ago so there may be a few ex-dem ones about. They were expensive new (£400ish) so if you can find one for half that you're doing well.

Matt.

Matt F, Dec 18, 2003
  3. Mark67

lowrider Live music is surround

Read this...

I have a Proac CC2, I think it will match well almost any system, but as you have B&W, try one of their centers first, the largest two way you can afford, I'd say... :MILD:

As the CDM series has been discontinued, you may find one cheap... :rolleyes:

lowrider, Dec 18, 2003
  4. Mark67

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i'd suggest an end of line ex-demo cdm cnt too. in fact i have one (but it's not for sale) and very good it is too, so good in fact that i've often wontered what using 2 as main speakers would be like. if you are serious about a/v i'd suggest waiting to get the matching center to your sig's though as small tonal differences are very noticeable if you watch films like you listen to music however if you just slob out with popcorn of a night then the cdm series will do just fine.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Dec 18, 2003
  5. Mark67

rodrat

I would spend as much as you can squeeze. I recently acquired a secondhand PMC LB1 centre speaker to replace my mission 73 it makes a huge difference to the reproduction of dialogue. Given the quality of your front speakers, I would look at something compatable that would cost the equivalent to half a pair of 805's when new. IMHO, the front three speakers are more important than the surrounds. It might be better to stick with the same make for better integration.

Rod

rodrat, Dec 18, 2003
Ask a Question