channel imbalance on phono

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by midlifecrisis, Jan 16, 2006.

1. midlifecrisis

midlifecrisis Firm member

I'm trying to work out where a problem lies.. with the turntable, I'm getting a strong channel imbalance - more or less equal hi/mid on either speaker but very little bass on one. by swapping things around I know it isn't the preamp or cables - so it could be either the cartidge or the Diablo phono stage. a couple of times one channel has gone almost completely, when switching off and reconnecting the cables into the phono stage has helped, so I'm leaning towards the latter as the culprit. Any suggestions?

midlifecrisis, Jan 16, 2006
  2. midlifecrisis

Onno

channel imbalance

Not an anti-skating or cartridge alignment issue?

BTW I seemed to have a similar problem. Bass imbalance without mid-high imbalance. This was on a non-flat record. This record was a bit shaped like one of those southeast asian rice-farmer hats, if you know what i mean? As in the label was lower and the outer edge was hovering slightly above the platter surface. This could imply that it's caused by an azimuth problem. I first thought one of my woofers died but luckily that wasn't it...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2006
    Onno, Jan 17, 2006
  3. midlifecrisis

zanash

You've checked the speakers ?

zanash, Jan 17, 2006
  4. midlifecrisis

other sources such as cd and radio work fine - and I've swapped around inputs on the preamp, also the cables themselves, so I know it's narrowed down to the phono set up. It happens on all records. I'll have a fiddle with anti-skate and the cartridge tonight - really just want to close out some options before having to send back the phono stage to be checked.

midlifecrisis, Jan 17, 2006
  5. midlifecrisis

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Have you swapped the inputs from the arm into the phono pre? If the problem remains in the same channel then you can pretty much point the finger at the preamp. If it swaps channels then the finger points at the cart or its setup.

Uncle Ants, Jan 17, 2006
  6. midlifecrisis

Bob McC living the life of Riley

check the cartridge tags.

Bob McC, Jan 17, 2006
  7. midlifecrisis

good thinking sir - I'll try tonight.

midlifecrisis, Jan 17, 2006
  8. midlifecrisis

I've narrowed it down to the cartridge, and nothing I do by way of realigning it, cleaning the tags etc helps, so it looks as if it's damaged. It's an Ortofon MC15 - can these things be repaired, or does it sound like a chuck and replace jobby?

midlifecrisis, Jan 24, 2006
  9. midlifecrisis

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

cartridges can be repaired ... but I strongly suspect in this case for more than the cost of a new one - the likes of the Expert Stylus Co should be able to help there.

Its usually only worthwhile on exotic (read expensive) cartridges OR sometimes people have been known to get cheaper but classic cartridges hotrodded - the DL-103 spings to mind. Realistically though it sounds like the bin.

Uncle Ants, Jan 24, 2006
Ask a Question