Charity-shop vinyl/purpose-built mono cartridge

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Paul V, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Paul V

Paul V

Dear All

I've started to buy [if that's what you can call picking up great music for little more than a can of Coca-Cola] from my local charity shops. Can't put into words what a valuable experience it is to be able to listen to a piece that you haven't heard before or passed by for 85p - even if you don't like it, you can give it back so someone else can check it out, and you've helped a charity in a small way.

Anyway, if I'm going to start buying serious amounts of mono records, are there any alternatives to the Helikon mono ??. The records I've got generally sound fine but are quite noisy. As I've had no experience of what a mono cartridge sounds like, I'm not sure whether the noise is due to a worn-out record or my Audio Technica tracing the bottom of the mono groove...

Any help would be mucho appreciated.

Yours

Paul Venables

Paul V, Jun 7, 2004
  2. Paul V

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

Have you got a proper wet vacuum record cleaner? If not get one before thinking about cartridges. A decent cleaning machine is absolutely essential!

Tony.

TonyL, Jun 7, 2004
Ask a Question